Used or Salvage Engine Purchase Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
Recently needed an engine to replace the 234 k mile engine in our "09 Yukon Hybrid. Since they are a bit unique had to search the country. Found a 130 k mile one pretty close and the pics looked good. Had an idea to do a carfax on the vin and discovered the truck had the registration renewed in 2015 with 143 k miles on it, then in 2016 had the gauge cluster replaced and the new mileage was then 70 k. So the engine actually had over 200 k miles on it and 5 different owners!
The one we ended up buying was a 1 owner and carfax showed it had been serviced with oil changes around every 4000 miles, a much better choice for a used engine. Runs great, and since I wanted all new gaskets noticed it was clean as could be inside as well.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Recently needed an engine to replace the 234 k mile engine in our "09 Yukon Hybrid. Since they are a bit unique had to search the country. Found a 130 k mile one pretty close and the pics looked good. Had an idea to do a carfax on the vin and discovered the truck had the registration renewed in 2015 with 143 k miles on it, then in 2016 had the gauge cluster replaced and the new mileage was then 70 k. So the engine actually had over 200 k miles on it and 5 different owners!
The one we ended up buying was a 1 owner and carfax showed it had been serviced with oil changes around every 4000 miles, a much better choice for a used engine. Runs great, and since I wanted all new gaskets noticed it was clean as could be inside as well.

smart!
When looking for replacement engines for my hoe, i had issues where the price was almost as much as a brand-new engine if i were to build it.

And flush those cooler lines, trans and engine!
if it feels like a restriction, then really look at it.
I learned the hard way. :emotions33:

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart man! I learned a new tip/trick from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645