USB music files organization

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not the brightest bulb in the string but this doesn't make sense to me in any way. I have placed nearly 4200 tunes on a USB drive which I used for years in my 2011 Suburban with no problems whatsoever. In my 2021 one week old Tahoe these files arrange differently. They have been arranged on the USB thumb drive like any other files in Windows 10....first by artist, then all of the albums by that artist, then all songs on each album. When viewing them on the Tahoe the songs are numbered 02, then 10, then 06, etc. Each album is different. They are sorted on my computer my name (each is numbered on each album 01 through 12 or so) but the numbering is randomly confused on the Tahoe. I am unable to view these on the Tahoe by artist or album or genre, but can only see all of them by files. Have I done something incorrectly or does the Tahoe like to hear the album in a different order. Drives me nuts, although for me that's just a short walk.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Windows sorting is just how Explorer displays them, it doesn't write the files in any particular order on the flash drive. The Tahoe might have some kind of setting for it to sort them under that operating system.

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 usbs of music in there, definitely something messed up with your files or something. Mine work with no issue.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not the brightest bulb in the string but this doesn't make sense to me in any way. I have placed nearly 4200 tunes on a USB drive which I used for years in my 2011 Suburban with no problems whatsoever. In my 2021 one week old Tahoe these files arrange differently. They have been arranged on the USB thumb drive like any other files in Windows 10....first by artist, then all of the albums by that artist, then all songs on each album. When viewing them on the Tahoe the songs are numbered 02, then 10, then 06, etc. Each album is different. They are sorted on my computer my name (each is numbered on each album 01 through 12 or so) but the numbering is randomly confused on the Tahoe. I am unable to view these on the Tahoe by artist or album or genre, but can only see all of them by files. Have I done something incorrectly or does the Tahoe like to hear the album in a different order. Drives me nuts, although for me that's just a short walk.
Do all of the files have proper tags? I found that my 2021 Escalade would only show album art if it was embedded in the tag info, so it seems that it is probably relying on that for album, artist, song order, etc. I ended up having to go through and update the tags on many of my albums to get everything to display properly. BTW I used mp3tag, a free tag editor to update them.

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I give up on that issue. But here's another. I just discovered that I can't browse my music files if I'm alone in the car and moving. It seems I'm stuck with just one album unless I stop so I can select another. If I have a passenger he/she can browse, but if the right seat is empty I'm locked out when in motion. Is there any way around this huge inconvenience? Are the lawyers now designing our vehicles?

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that feature is brutal. As far as I can tell there is nothing we can do about it besides putting something on the seat. It's definitely stupid considering you can do basically anything else on the screen but picking an album is a no-no. If I find a way around it I'll let you know.

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the first thing that comes to my feeble mind is to get a wiring schematic, determine which wires on the seat harness are attached to whatever the weight sensor/switch is and simply jumper them so that the sensor always is telling the Tahoe that the seat is occupied. Now that may require that the seatbelt sensor also be overridden to falsely indicate that the seatbelt is being used by the fake passenger as well. It seems that would probably work, but only if a schematic shows those two circuits. The only down side may be that the passenger airbag will always be hot.....so what.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being your also dealing with an airbag system, I am not sure you could just rewire it, as it looks for the weight of a passenger to enable, or disable the pass SRS. You could, in essence, make it unsafe for your passengers.

OP
OP
T

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What I think would work is simply to make the SRS active full time, make the seat show as occupied full time, and show the seatbelt secured full time. If I had a schematic this should be easy to do, ASSUMING that the sensors/switches work as I think they might. A schematic would show if that is possible. The challenge is finding a wiring diagram for this beast. What I do know is that I browsed a very large music library in my 2011 Suburban for ten years without a distraction problem. Granted, it took a long time to find and select any particular album or artist when underway. But as tomgilk pointed out it seems a bit ridiculous that GM selects certain things we can do while driving and others we can't do while driving. Any of these activities can be distracting if they're not properly managed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01