Upper Control Arms Hitting stops After Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can turn a bolt, you can lower the truck yourself. I think it is an 18mm bolt.
If you move them much, then you will need to have the front end alignment checked.

03_GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the 273N2 kit from Rough Country comes with keys, shocks and coil spacers? Just curious as i was looking into getting one for my '03 Yukon XL

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can turn a bolt, you can lower the truck yourself. I think it is an 18mm bolt.
If you move them much, then you will need to have the front end alignment checked.

I got them uncranked about 5/8". I've checked the height a couple of times and they're about level. However the drivers side is cranked down almost all the way and the passenger side is almost all the way out... What's that about??

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Is this the 273N2 kit from Rough Country comes with keys, shocks and coil spacers? Just curious as i was looking into getting one for my '03 Yukon XL

I'm not sure about the product number but this is made by Rough Country and it came with 2" spacers, 3" keys, and shock extenders.

03_GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]

I'm not sure about the product number but this is made by Rough Country and it came with 2" spacers, 3" keys, and shock extenders.[/QUOTE]

OK Thanks man! good luck!

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please do not trim off the droop stops. The suspension is way over cranked, if you want more than like 2" you should start looking into suspension lifts or body lifts.

Why do people always say this? I was going to order the cognito arms however their own instructions says to cut it off. Lol

My uca are new so I was going to cut the droop stops off and keep them if I ever need them. And then Use the correct shocks like cognito says to use.

I just don't understand why they make lift keys to be decrunked. Mines a 2wd and I already got 3" lift spindles and ford keys. Right now I'm set exactly at 4" to match the rear. It's maybe 1/4" between the droop stops. I want to crank my keys to raise the front back up like I did when it touched the droop stops. Going to add 1.5" spacer in rear. I can cut the stops and relocate lower. But as mentioned I feel there are not needed if you have the correct shock per cognito instructions .

That's being said I know my ball joint angle will not be perfect like the cognito arms. However I did have it aligned proper while they were sitting on the droop stoops. Ride was ruff so I lowered back to get off the stoops.

I really like the performance at 4" lift. No swaying etc. so I'm pretty satisfied already. If I do not lift it anymore I still want the added down travel.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
@Justinj360 yes that is normal bolt lengths when the truck is level. GM has a gangsta side lean to the driver side so takes more to truly keep it level. Nnbs are better since more things are located to passenger side.
@hoe Cognito also says to use their limiting straps to prevent damage to other driveline components. So cutting the droop stop on factory arms is not recommended but possible. You can cut them like others such as rcx on 7.5" kits but I don't think any shock is designed to act as a travel limit.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people always say this? I was going to order the cognito arms however their own instructions says to cut it off. Lol

Because ball joints, cv axles, etc. are not made to work at the extreme angles you're trying to run them at when needing to cut off the droop stops. There is a reason that a suspension is designed the way they are and I encourage anyone and everyone that is thinking of cranking keys to understand exactly what is happening to their suspension, tons of info and pics on the web.

I do not understand why people try to run suspension at it's absolute limits and beyond vs. lifting a truck correctly.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys going to stay with my 4"s. My ball joints will thank me. My ride is as smoothie as a caddy currently and no need to compromise. In fact I did decrank till my ball joints were straight and coincidentally the truck was perfectly leveled and the droops have clearances! 4" rocks for performance still! If I ever redo my front end it will be fit sas and 4wd.

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which soloution

So without cutting the stops. Is the lowering brackets. Front and back that relocate the lowering control arms on both sides. Is that all that is needed not to cut the stops?

Why can't I find these individual parts. As mentioned I already have lift spindles and ford keys.

If I put 1.5" spacer with my 4" springs. What do indeed to do to level the front slightly more as well as not ride the stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645