Upgraded from a 2008 Denali to a 2009 Eski

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s probably the one you saw I just snatched. I thought about doing the make an offer thing but knew I’d regret it if I lost it after waiting a year for one to pop up, let alone one from an 11 Esky with cell phone access.

The current 09 Canadian VCIM is still happy as a clam in the 09 Esky here Cali. When I do call into O/S for something there’s always long pauses. I can tell they’re looking at their screens seeing 09 Tahoe Hybrid as the customer vehicle. Most of the O/S employees are unaware 07-14 Canadian customers could upgrade to 3/4G “F” code modules.

A2C7BFDF-2D76-4BEA-9991-5A722CAD991C.jpeg@swathdiver

Hey Pete, one of those Canadian 4G modules showed up on Ebay yesterday but was gone in minutes! How is your set up working?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably the one you saw I just snatched. I thought about doing the make an offer thing but knew I’d regret it if I lost it after waiting a year for one to pop up, let alone one from an 11 Esky with cell phone access.

The current 09 Canadian VCIM is still happy as a clam in the 09 Esky here Cali. When I do call into O/S for something there’s always long pauses. I can tell they’re looking at their screens seeing 09 Tahoe Hybrid as the customer vehicle. Most of the O/S employees are unaware 07-14 Canadian customers could upgrade to 3/4G “F” code modules.

View attachment 419089@swathdiver
That's the one! Glad you got it!

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've owned our Denali XL AWD since ’14. The focus was catching the missed maintenance while under a service contract for the next four years. When something lit the DIC or made a noise, nothing was a surprise anymore. The itch to make changes to the lighting and tires was getting louder. While looking for current market value I noticed SoCal is currently in short supply or 1-3 owner 07-09 NNBS Denali XL but TX is prime and also for Burb’s and ESV.

Saw that it was possible to pick up an Eski AWD in TX for the same as a Denali XL AWD in CA. Stumbled on a unicorn 09 Platinum with the Hella designed led headlamps for $15k. Laid out a deposit, called an independent inspector for $169 and the deal was done for $14K. Since '09, $70K fell off in depreciation. We're the 3rd owner of this Eski @ 130 clicks. On the Denali, we're the 2nd owner @ 140 clicks. In six years we put 40K mi on the Denali. It made sense to swap the vehicles, there's no way I could of pulled off adding every feature and option a Platinum is spec'd with.

The Denali is being sold to a friend who I promised would get 1st dibs when the day came. Monday it's getting the roof painted to cure GM’s famous black paint clear coat failure, then a full detail. Once it’s complete, I’ll post both of em up like an old bar pic for Dewar’s.

View attachment 332513

Here’s the new addition …

View attachment 332514

View attachment 332515
Nice truck Pete! You could literally make $5k off the headlights on eBay lol.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
07-14 Yukon owners are really are lucky now. The aftermarket led projector lamp assemblies completely smoke these early led spider eye led on the platinum Esky’s. They’re more nostalgic than technologically advanced.

The main benefit is that I won’t be getting into any of the panels to replace bulbs for a really long time. On the note that they’re hard to remove is probably the only reason I haven’t come out in the morning to find a truck without headlamps.

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07-14 Yukon owners are really are lucky now. The aftermarket led projector lamp assemblies completely smoke these early led spider eye led on the platinum Esky’s. They’re more nostalgic than technologically advanced.

The main benefit is that I won’t be getting into any of the panels to replace bulbs for a really long time. On the note that they’re hard to remove is probably the only reason I haven’t come out in the morning to find a truck without headlamps.
Lol true that. Congrats on the truck! Does that have the L9H?

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yes and kudos to the forum for sharing the knowledge base on LS motors and long term results. TX is still the land of milk & honey for finding a unicorn L9H truck and in good condition too.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Well, super sad day. Feeling a tiny bit better but still hurts. These Bulldogs are short lived, especially when you get the pre-owned (adopted) models. New Year’s Eve Talulah had some kind of undetermined, unknown tumor burst and in 4 hours she was gone after 7 short years.
66C0D4F0-2653-4FDB-A7DB-046B0E020A6E.jpeg

Hug ur pups and spoil the ship out of them. For the first time we took our dogs with us on XMAS break to NorCal. Absolute chaos and a total blast. Best decision and XMAS gift we’ve ever had unbeknownst to us we realized how important it was.

Hug your fur children!

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Did a little swaparoo with the OnStar VCIM from the 09 Canadian Hybrid to the 11 Canadian Esky O/S VCIM. The O/S Rep confirmed my vehicle (donor vehicle) was showing on her side as an ‘11 ice white Cadillac Escalade Platinum. This is a huge score.

When using these preloved Canadian 3/4G O/S modules it’s beneficial to have a make, model and color match. The O/S VCIM is active under my name but the original truck it was born into stays the same and can’t be changed. If the truck is stolen I can call and have it shut down. When it’s recovered they’ll find a white Esky ESV Platinum. I’m sure they’ll have questions about it being a different VIN and Year though.

9AA84B15-FEFB-4A1E-890E-6B15564C5D40.png

O/S set up my new 3/4G account to the same App I had for the 2011 Esky 2G VCIM they shut down last year. I pressed the ignition start button, held it down and 10 seconds later, Voilà! It remote starts and stops via the cell phone App.

The 07-09 trucks were never meant to have these 2010+ O/S features. The fact that GM opted to shut down their 2G O/S network that supported this cell app feature stinks. It’s even worse they never offered it to older vehicles when it’s 100% backwards compatible and plug n play as well as adding unlimited 4G WiFi service to the truck for $15 Mo.

OP
OP
petethepug

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welp, real rain in SoCal. Going to enjoy this stuff because this is the norm everywhere else. It’s also a blast to see all the locals run around with their hair on fire like it’s a disaster movie :popcorn:

1A69C0E8-32AE-421F-8BFA-C69352152A94.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts