Upgrade wheels at Order time vs buy later?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at the Yukon XL SLT trim and really not crazy about the standard 20" aluminum wheel that comes standard. I really like the 22" inch gloss black "SRV" wheels that are available as an option but not sure they are worth the $3K increase in price. Plus that takes me to a 22" wheel which there are both pro's and con's.

1660420343271.png

If I do decide a wheel change is worth $3K, I guess another option is to buy a 20" inch aftermarket black wheel like the Fuel Sledge along with Michelin Defender tires.

1660420219286.png

Discount Tire has a package deal for a little over $3K installed.

Then I guess I could try to sell my stock 20" wheels and tires, but not sure if that would be worth my trouble and how much I could really get for them. One advantage of this route is I will have better tires than what comes stock from GM on those 22" SRV wheels.

So what are your thoughts? Is it easier just to upgrade to the 22" wheels at order time and live with the stock tires until it is time to replace them? Or is it worth buying something aftermarket and then have another set of tires/wheels to deal with?

Thanks!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I’ve ever had a warranty issue with wheels…but you do lose the 3-36 factory warranty if there is an issue…You could still order the GM wheels from the accessories store, use one of their 10 or 15% off coupons (last year at Christmas they had a 25% off over $500 deal), buy tires, and sell the factory wheels/tires. Accessories installed by the dealer get the remainder of the 3-36 warranty. My dealer always matches Tire Prices and gives free lifetime rotates if I buy tires from them…so if you plan on going back to dealer for service, May be a win.

OP
OP
B

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I’ve ever had a warranty issue with wheels…but you do lose the 3-36 factory warranty if there is an issue…You could still order the GM wheels from the accessories store, use one of their 10 or 15% off coupons (last year at Christmas they had a 25% off over $500 deal), buy tires, and sell the factory wheels/tires. Accessories installed by the dealer get the remainder of the 3-36 warranty. My dealer always matches Tire Prices and gives free lifetime rotates if I buy tires from them…so if you plan on going back to dealer for service, May be a win.
Good point on the warranty situation. I never considered that. I did look into the Accessory store a little but I think I'd need a pretty good deal (like that 25% off you mentioned) to make it worthwhile. Right now they are advertising 10% off and by the time you add up the 4 wheels and tax it came to something like $2700 and that doesn't include the tires. At that price I'd better off just spending the $3K at order time and getting the so-so tires that come with it. I think there is a certain advantage to having everything GM.

Another option I thought about if I go the aftermarket route is put the stock 20" wheels (I think they are Bridgestone?) on my new Fuel Sledge wheels. It looks like they should fit, although I'd need to verify. That way I spend less money up-front and it is probably easier to re-sell factory OEM wheels without tires than with tires. I found a couple places where you send them pictures of the wheels and they send you a quote. But I imagine they probably don't give you very much.

OP
OP
B

bunky319

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what did you decide?
I'm still waiting for my vehicle to get produced. It was accepted a couple weeks ago and awaiting a TPW. But since I ended up going up to the Denali trim (to increase my chances of getting an allocation), that changes things a bit. I'll be spending quite a bit more on the vehicle so may not be able to spend anything extra on wheels, at least for awhile. One thing I'm pretty certain of is that I will stick with 20" wheels and not make the jump to 22's.

Rick10Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you order the car new with black wheels that I believe are dealer installed, can you keep the OEM wheels? Seems they give no value for giving up the oem wheels to dealer upon installation of the black wheels.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upgrade is $3K and you don’t get to keep your OEM wheels, so it’s really $4K, right ? Because you are giving up an extra set of rims that are worth something. And 22” tires, like you said, pros and cons. The pros are mostly aesthetic though, is what I think.

I’d take the OEM wheels and tires, and then in three years when the tires are wearing down, replace the wheels and tires with 20 inch, maybe a little wider and lower profile to keep the diameter same.

Warranty is going to cover manufacturing defect, not damage. Discount Tire (geat business, IMO…) is going to give you a warranty too. Then your actual cost (since you need new tires anyways) is the price of the wheels, maybe $1500? And you get to keep your OEM wheels for the spare tire. Or sell them. Or donate them for the tax write off. Whatever. I’d get OEM wheels then swap them out in a few years. I’d Keep the OEM wheels, and set them up with deep-profile off-road or snow tires. That’s what I’d do.

In fact that’s what I did, 15 years ago when I traded up my stock 265/70-16’s for 275/60-18’s. The 18” wheels cost me a few hundred bucks, and I still have them. I get tempted by the 20’s …. Maybe one day I’ll get a good deal from someone trading up to two-dubs!

Attachments

• 82624381-9077-4862-8B67-798FE55C0E3A.jpeg
    82624381-9077-4862-8B67-798FE55C0E3A.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CDEFD855-22A5-49D9-9279-C4CCB3EBFC52.jpeg
    CDEFD855-22A5-49D9-9279-C4CCB3EBFC52.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Scott in AZ

Get what comes with it. See if you like it. If not, find some on FB or CL and get what you like. Then sell the OG. Many people selling new stuff for aftermarket - "just because"

I've bought take off wheels for years as needed due to the miles we put on. Usually you can get a whole new look for 1/4 the price and run them until they are used up, then sell the rims. Then get something new that works again. By that time, your ride will be old hat and nobody will care how the wheels look but you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is to get the best stock wheels you like and then get them black gloss powder coated. They look sharp, wear well and can have this done pretty cheaply. I did and I'm very happy !