Wheels plowing/dragging at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, but it's a super easy check to do. Based on what you're dealing with, toe is most likely too far in. The other option is camber is off and causing the tire to lean out at the top, in at the bottom.

Do your tires look like this from the front:
\ /

Or, do they look like this:
| |

stallion_412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turn the steering wheel hard to one side, and then go figure out what the tires are rubbing against that's bringing them to a stop in reverse. It sounds to me like the inside edge of the tire is rubbing somewhere. Takes a lot of force to stop the tires cold while moving. If it's still not obvious, have a helper move the vehicle in a sharp reverse turn very slowly while you watch. If you still can't figure it out, take a few pics and share here.

Do you happen to have aftermarket rims? This honestly sounds to me like the rim has a different offset from stock and is too far 'in'.

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK, but it's a super easy check to do. Based on what you're dealing with, toe is most likely too far in. The other option is camber is off and causing the tire to lean out at the top, in at the bottom.

Do your tires look like this from the front:
\ /

Or, do they look like this:
| |
The camber is | | for the most part, but it seems like there's variation sometimes, but just barely. The toe was in the green when I had it aligned a couple months ago, and the same problem has persisted.

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Turn the steering wheel hard to one side, and then go figure out what the tires are rubbing against that's bringing them to a stop in reverse. It sounds to me like the inside edge of the tire is rubbing somewhere. Takes a lot of force to stop the tires cold while moving. If it's still not obvious, have a helper move the vehicle in a sharp reverse turn very slowly while you watch. If you still can't figure it out, take a few pics and share here.

Do you happen to have aftermarket rims? This honestly sounds to me like the rim has a different offset from stock and is too far 'in'.
There's no rubbing. The truck is completely stock, all ACDelco OEM parts. My coworker volunteered to help me observe when we get out of the office today, and I will take pictures. Stock, original 17" GMC wheels.

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See the link I posted in post #4 of this thread.
Yeah I saw that link, I guess I should have asked for a pic of it with better orientation. I'll get under the truck in the morning and see if I can match the orientation to the picture. Really hoping it's not on upside down because that would exceed my mechanical capabilities haha

OP
OP
P

psimm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMG_1087.JPEGIMG_1083.JPEG
Here's a few pics from when I got under it today. A few things I noticed. 1. The Pitman and idler arms don't remain parallel to each other when at full lock. 2. The center link is hitting the blue bushing on the sway bar on the driver side, not the passenger side. 3. The center link is wedged against two metal hoses, but I couldn't determine what they went to. Unless I'm missing it, the frame doesn't look bent. I'm considering firing the parts cannon at it and getting a new center link and sway bar.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPEG
    IMG_1088.JPEG
    224.8 KB · Views: 3

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't see enough detail as to why it is doing what it is doing. I want to see a farther back shot showing it all straight ahead, left to lock and right to lock....etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019