Upgrade hu but keep Rear entertainment system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCSwurvn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with the Bose DVD rear entertainment system. I wanna upgrade the head unit but keep the DVD entertainment system in the back. Any suggestions?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
headunit, maestro-rr and a couple adapters and you are good to go
the maestro allows you to keep DSP and bose fade
I would advise disconnecting the bose anc mic's for best performance, if you have ANC anyway it may have only came on certain vehicles.
also if you have 2nd flip down lcd screen then you have to run some wires together to make the 3rd screen work there is no adapter for it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed an Xtrons Android HU in my 2007 XL Denali with the Bose system a few years ago and it was pretty much plug and play. I did not use a Maestro or PAC harness and it will play DVDs (only) on both the screen in the dash and the overhead screen at the same time, and direct the audio through the main speakers. It won't play any other type of video on the rear screen however. That's all we needed because our kids are old enough now that my wife usually wants to watch a movie together with them when we travel. If not, they just watch whatever they want on their iPads. The Maestro harness would allow them to watch a video on the rear screen only using the factory headphones. Just wanted to make that distinction clear in case it's important to you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed an Xtrons Android HU in my 2007 XL Denali with the Bose system a few years ago and it was pretty much plug and play. I did not use a Maestro or PAC harness and it will play DVDs (only) on both the screen in the dash and the overhead screen at the same time, and direct the audio through the main speakers. It won't play any other type of video on the rear screen however. That's all we needed because our kids are old enough now that my wife usually wants to watch a movie together with them when we travel. If not, they just watch whatever they want on their iPads. The Maestro harness would allow them to watch a video on the rear screen only using the factory headphones. Just wanted to make that distinction clear in case it's important to you.
my pioneer & maestro rr will play pretty much whatever I throw at it front & rear or the rear can be on and front on something else, RSE function has to be supported by the head unit used, a maestro rr might allow it to run separate without any mirroring from the front.. android auto does interrupt that feature though if I have android auto on it won't allow rear video mirroring so if need be I can turn off android and use waze on my phone and then we can all watch video while traveling, I use waze for police alerts and a radar detector and a garmin that works where there is no cell service which is a lot of places.
The pioneer built in nav is just redundancy for me.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's odd my pioneer & maestro rr will play pretty much whatever I throw at it front & rear or the rear can be on and front on something else, might have something to do with the head unit used. android auto does interrupt that feature though if I have android auto on it won't allow rear video mirroring so if need be I can turn off android and use waze on my phone and then we can all watch video while traveling, I use waze for police alerts and a radar detector and a garmin that works where there is no cell service which is a lot of places.
The pioneer built in nav is just redundancy for me.
Just to be clear, I did *not* use either a Maestro or PAC harness and am able to use RSE but with some significant limits that using one of those harnesses likely would have solved.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I did *not* use either a Maestro or PAC harness and am able to use RSE but with some significant limits that using one of those harnesses likely would have solved.
ya I saw that and corrected my post, haven't had enough coffee yet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094