unsolved P1345 cam/crank correlation issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corbin dallas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 96 suburban has a hard code p1345 cam/crank correlation. it was running anywhere from -28 to -33 degrees retard. this just popped up one day after a long battle with an evap code that vanished on its own. it was replaced with the p1345 code. if you clear it the code comes right back instantly. so we began testing.
new crank sensor
new distributor, cap rotor, wires plugs
multiple times distributor in and out. perfectly setting the engine to TDC, inserting the distributor in correctly. still massive retard in timing
actually set one tooth clockwise and one tooth counterclockwise,...revved above 1000rpms,..still anywhere from 18 degrees to 38 degrees negative. even a tooth off either way
put new computer in vehicle flashed to vin-no change
new icm
replaced spider injection and new intake manifold gaskets
new fuel pump
cleaned and repaired all grounds
replaced steering column ignition harness
oh,...keep in mind that during all of this the truck actually stopped running. so we thru parts at it until we noticed the crank sensor plug was worn out with exposed wires(which we replaced) and found a loose ground and broken ground strap on back of motor. so truck running once again.
STILL P1345
so now we hooked up snapon solus. this is where we re looking at cam retard under evap setting.
checked tdc again,..installed old distributor. also checked for slack in timing chain(absolutely none) and now a reading of -18 degrees retard.
so we elongated the hole on the distributor hold down to get some adjustment. best we can get is the -18degrees,..if we turn slightly the other way it shoots up over 30

what else can be wrong here??? how come we cant get a 0 degrees +2/-2 reading? any other suggestions?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are reading timing in not the right place if the scanner can even do it.
Look for something like CMP Retard, or cam/crank correlation.
Many-most cheap bluetooth scanners will do it with Advanced GM PIDS or something similar purchased. Around $5.
Might have been a better Idea to stay with your original post so repair history shows. Might want to drop the link to your post here. Good luck, we will try to talk you thru it.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/members/07burb.10379/ Can you move this to GMT 400 section? Thanks.

OP
OP
C

corbin dallas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are reading timing in not the right place if the scanner can even do it.
Look for something like CMP Retard, or cam/crank correlation.
Many-most cheap bluetooth scanners will do it with Advanced GM PIDS or something similar purchased. Around $5.
Might have been a better Idea to stay with your original post so repair history shows. Might want to drop the link to your post here. Good luck, we will try to talk you thru it.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/members/07burb.10379/ Can you move this to GMT 400 section? Thanks.
reading it in the correct place on the snapon solus according to everyone here. also here
under engine evap, then to cam retard. rev over 1000rpm and should be at zero + or -2 degrees. best I can get is -18 not sure how to "move" this post. dont know where my old one is,....and I have solved the "old posts'" problem. this is a brand new problem. advise

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't watch vids, most are not able to be referenced.
Anyway, because of the results you are getting, you are reading ignition timing not cam retard or cam offset. Maybe Snapon needs update?
You can try moving dist 2-3 degrees at a time until p1345 does not set. The screw on dist for cap will almost be touching manifold.
Here is your previous post.-

OP
OP
C

corbin dallas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't watch vids, most are not able to be referenced.
Anyway, because of the results you are getting, you are reading ignition timing not cam retard or cam offset. Maybe Snapon needs update?
You can try moving dist 2-3 degrees at a time until p1345 does not set. The screw on dist for cap will almost be touching manifold.
Here is your previous post.-

well,...i will try to take some pictures of exactly what I am looking at on the solus. but i assure you it says "cam retard" and it should read zero,...but its at -18. we are not reading ignition timing,...that is under "engine" not EVAP where cam retard is in snapon pro scanner. again we have elongated the clamp hole so I am able to turn the "unturnable" distributor quite a way both clockwise and counterclockwise and we are still not coming close to 0 degrees cam retard. thanks for your help. I will try to get more info here in next couple days.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 5

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually, the factory hold down with new dist will allow adjustment. Post those pics. Maybe someone else will chime in.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the crank sensor relearn after replacing it?

Aftermarket distributors often have a fixed clamp for some reason. Reusing the stock clamp is the way to go if you still have it.

To confirm, the distributor was installed at TDC compression with the rotor pointing to the little “8” triangle within a degree or so and aligning with the number 1 post on the cap?

As exp500 mentioned, the cap screw tab will be pretty much hitting the upper intake when in spec.

D6993734-4004-4086-A78F-5306DA55841C.jpeg

F71E58E6-BB7D-43E7-8A9F-1BA821FBCF0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700