Under load there is a brief loss of power which sounds like cylinder deactivation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello my friends from the forum.

I currently have a problem that I can't quite figure out. It manifests itself as follows. When I have to drive up a hill and I accelerate my Tahoe and then hold the accelerator pedal, I hear the engine for about 3 seconds, as if the cylinder deactivation is active and it doesn't want to accelerate properly during this time, then it stops after 3 seconds and you can feel it pushing forward. This repeats itself at longer intervals only when I'm under load.
At first I thought it was the ignition and completely replaced the spark plugs, cables and ignition coil. I drive with LPG here in Germany. But that wasn't the problem. Then I got the Tahoe up to 3000 rpm in the garage while it was standing still and held the gas and I noticed that at certain intervals it suddenly pushes the rpm up for about 2 seconds. As if something was accelerating on its own. I replaced the air mass meter 2 years ago. Do you have any idea where I could look again. I have this phenomenon with LPG and petrol. I would be grateful for any tips. Thanks

OP
OP
DJPoertsch

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the problem. It is the air conditioning compressor. As soon as it turns on, I lose a lot of power. I had never had that before. As soon as the compressor clutch engages, I have a massive loss of performance. That I can hear it as described on the engine noise even really loud. My question now. Can I replace the clutch on the compressor or should I replace it completely.? It still cools, but the loss of power is really annoying

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can replace the clutch but the new part is hard to find and takes a specific tool. most replace the whole thing.

I have never heard of a ac compressor getting harder to turn as it wears out. if you do replace it and the power loss goes away. please let us know. I've never heard of that.

OP
OP
DJPoertsch

DJPoertsch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the tips. By chance, I have already found a few posts here in the forum that had the same problem as me. In this case, cleaning of the throttle valve was suggested. Someone wrote that a user had replaced the compressor and it didn't work at first. Only the cleaning of the throttle flap would have helped. How could this be related? I only did an air conditioning service 3 days ago and replaced the service valve and also the gasket. I'll take a look at my throttle tomorrow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts