Unbolting front driveshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia The reason I ask if because ever since I put my Tahoe back together it feels like I'm missing a front wheel weight or something so I was wondering if the front U-joint is not happy or needs to be replaced.

I am open to everyones opinions and use that as data to make my own decisions.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worked on cars/trucks for over half a century, and during this time virtually all of the experienced mechanics that mentored me, advised me to mark all drivetrain components when removing them, so that they can be re-assembled in the exact same manner if possible. Their reasoning was that any variations introduced into the drive train can produce a situation of slight imbalance which which is not good for the rotational components, and will be felt by most attentive drivers.

Just because many mentor mechanics told me this does not necessarily make it a 'fact', but from my standpoint, when many of my mentors advise something specific, I follow it (otherwise, why use mentors).

Also, working for decades in environments using rotating equipment of all sizes (up to 10 ton precision rolls), maintaining proper balance was always critical in avoiding premature parts failure.

Again, each person is entitled to his/her opinions, and each person gets to make his/her own decisions.