Typical TC/ABS Light Wheel Speed Sensor Problem, But Deeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up a 46k mile 4WD 2008 Tahoe LS. Had the usual TC/ABS/Service Stabilitrak error when I bought it. Using my non-factory scanner, the DTC was for the rear left wheel speed sensor. Purchased a cheapo brand sensor with harness from Rock Auto. Upon replacement, the following occurred:

The lights were gone, but almost immediately (pulling out of driveway and applying brakes at less than 10MPH), ABS was kicking in the pedal. A few moments later, all the lights come back on. Clear DTC and codes, and ABS starts kicking again at low speed. It kicks whether braking in a dead straight line or braking while turning <10MPH or on the road. Lights come back on. Clear, ABS kicking, but this time light doesnt come on for about 20 miles. When it came back on again, I cleared, same symptoms (ABS kick), but light has not returned for many miles and days.

All of the above examples, the live data shows the rear left sensor displaying the proper speed output when driving; matches other wheels when driving in a straight line, adjusts accordingly in turns, etc. This proper wheel speed output happens no matter what, whether the TC/ABS lights are on or they aren't. Pulled the sensor back out today, had some wet black fluid on it, looked like used motor oil. So maybe the axle seal is going, but that hasn't affected the sensor magnet's operation, as evidenced by the correct data output.

So my question is this: if the wheel speed sensor is outputting the correct data consistently, and the ABS pedal is still kicking in the pedal when breaking, the issue must be in the ABS system, such as the module, computer, etc, right?

I haven't really heard of modern GM trucks having bad ABS modules/computers, whereas the wheel speed sensors are known pieces of junk, but replacing the sensors almost always fixes the issue.

Thanks all in advance.

Bryingram4

Reaction score
Recently picked up a 46k mile 4WD 2008 Tahoe LS. Had the usual TC/ABS/Service Stabilitrak error when I bought it. Using my non-factory scanner, the DTC was for the rear left wheel speed sensor. Purchased a cheapo brand sensor with harness from Rock Auto. Upon replacement, the following occurred:

The lights were gone, but almost immediately (pulling out of driveway and applying brakes at less than 10MPH), ABS was kicking in the pedal. A few moments later, all the lights come back on. Clear DTC and codes, and ABS starts kicking again at low speed. It kicks whether braking in a dead straight line or braking while turning <10MPH or on the road. Lights come back on. Clear, ABS kicking, but this time light doesnt come on for about 20 miles. When it came back on again, I cleared, same symptoms (ABS kick), but light has not returned for many miles and days.

All of the above examples, the live data shows the rear left sensor displaying the proper speed output when driving; matches other wheels when driving in a straight line, adjusts accordingly in turns, etc. This proper wheel speed output happens no matter what, whether the TC/ABS lights are on or they aren't. Pulled the sensor back out today, had some wet black fluid on it, looked like used motor oil. So maybe the axle seal is going, but that hasn't affected the sensor magnet's operation, as evidenced by the correct data output.

So my question is this: if the wheel speed sensor is outputting the correct data consistently, and the ABS pedal is still kicking in the pedal when breaking, the issue must be in the ABS system, such as the module, computer, etc, right?

I haven't really heard of modern GM trucks having bad ABS modules/computers, whereas the wheel speed sensors are known pieces of junk, but replacing the sensors almost always fixes the issue.

Thanks all in advance.
Results please. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some abs sensors are garbage, the sensor could still be bad, like Bryan said you could try swapping sides or just get a different one.
if you want to check for the axle seal leaking pull the wheel off then the caliper and rotor and check for any grease behind the rotor on the parking shoes, etc.. if there isn't any I wouldn't worry about it. 46k would be pretty low miles for a axle seal to start going out.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
ABS tone ring could have gone out too. It sits inside after the axle bearing on the rear. I've seen wheel bearings go and chew/gunk that whole area up and need work done to rectify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019