Vehicle Won't Shift Into Park or Reverse, Gunky Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another day another issue from my 46k mile 4WD 2008 Tahoe.

Since acquiring used, it has had a 'gunky' shifter. Not solid clunks with defined gear notches like these trucks usually have. Even my wife who knows nothing about cars mentioned it when we got it.

Last few weeks, has been tough to get into park. Would shift the selector up into park, vehicle would be in park, but the line wouldn't show up under the P on the PRNDL indicator on dash. So couldn't start again, etc. Would have to go in and out a few times, slam it up, etc.

Today, the vehicle won't go past Drive. So it is effectively inoperable since I can't start it in park or neutral.

I know these trucks are common for the bushing failure on the piece that connects the trans gear lever and the shift cable end. However, under there today with someone shifting the vehicle, it does not appear the bushing has failed; the cable end is still attached and looks secure on the piece coming out of the trans. It just looks like the cable isn't 'pushing' forward (towards the front of the car) to put it into N, R, or Drive.

When I unclip the horseshoe clip and pull the cable assembly out of the bracket, I can shift it freely through all the gears, all the way up to park.

When the vehicle indicator reads Drive (and it actually is in drive, looking at the gear arm on the side of the transmission), the gear selector on the steering column is all the way up, in what would normally be the park position.

Attached are some pictures. Thoughts?
IMG_0630.jpg IMG_0631.jpg IMG_0633.jpg

Last edited:

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cable need lube or it’s kinked somewhere

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s an adjustment that can be made where the upper and lower cables attach to each other. (It’s a 2-piece cable) Google GM shifter cable adjustment. It’s accessible right under the driver side by the frame. If that doesn’t work, replace the cable.