TVS or Whipple on 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was fun but boost is really only a measure of how much air the engine cannot consume. Same blower and setup on my 6.0 only made 9psi due to bigger displacement and more efficient heads and cam and yada yada. The 6.0 setup is wayyyyy faster even thought the blower is the same.

Anyway for a DD the blower is awesome and no matter what engine you put it on you will be happy. Just do it right or face the consequences. Pins kits are cheap

Yeah this is a family hauler, but I want it to be as quick as the newer Denalis. My SLT is fully optioned out, so it's a very nice truck. I just don't see the point in spending 70k+ for something similar to what I already have, just newer.

Ok I'll just do the blower cam/pin at the same time then. It's a quick install on the truck if you're not doing oil pump anyway.

Glad you chimed in, I was kind of dreading the thought of tearing everything down again for an unknown junkyard engine. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have done the 6.2 over just a basic DOD delete since pulling the block is just 1 extra step at that point anyway.

Getting the 6.2 blower with the adapter plates seems like the logical choice.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tvs2300 on top of a 5.3 with a cam will be considerably faster than a 6.2 with a cam. I ran many 6.2 escalades and LTZ silverados with my 4.8 TVS1900 combo. Not much of a fight to be honest. Your wife will give you the "oh no not again look" and your kids will be cheering you on everytime they hear the whine.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks. Should be fun!

I probe shouldn't even bother with the adapter plates then and just go full cathedral since I have the high flowing heads already, then no weird alignment issues.

Blower can also go right on the head and I can skip the step where they have you install their own plates.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently stock fuel pump is just fine for power I am going for, I will just do a stock replacement then.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a Whipple on my 02 Denali 6.0 with stage 2 cam, longtubes etc and there’s no issue with a jumpy or weird throttle, just smooth power all through the rpm range.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any input if whether I should just get the cathedral port or square port + adapters? Looks like if I needed to do square port later, it's about $600 for the lower manifold.

Part of me wants to do square port for easier resale later if I need to pull it off.

kbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, I have a 2013 5.3 suburban with a whipple. Not jumpy at all, runs great with the whipple tune though it's definitely a conservative tune.
I only have done two 0-60 runs and got 5.75, haven't done a 1/4 mile yet but will when I get a chance.

on a good day could probably get 5.5 I would guess.
That said I tried out the next size smaller pulley which resulted in almost exactly 9psi boost which is 1 psi more than the standard and it did get a bit jumpy though that is without getting it retuned.
I'm currently running it as it comes from whipple.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ran across this thread, I have a 2013 5.3 suburban with a whipple. Not jumpy at all, runs great with the whipple tune though it's definitely a conservative tune.
I only have done two 0-60 runs and got 5.75, haven't done a 1/4 mile yet but will when I get a chance.

on a good day could probably get 5.5 I would guess.
That said I tried out the next size smaller pulley which resulted in almost exactly 9psi boost which is 1 psi more than the standard and it did get a bit jumpy though that is without getting it retuned.
I'm currently running it as it comes from whipple.
Be careful about running a smaller pulley without either having a tuner read your AFR at WOT or installing an AFR gauge and knowing what to look for. You could melt a piston if you run too lean. Don’t know if you knew this, so I thought I’d mention it.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd update the thread.

I found a 50k 6.2 L94 out of a 2012 Denali for a good price and jumped on the deal. I'll update with results once I install and tune it.

Current engine has almost 150k, so I figured it made more sense to go the new engine route. Hopefully this doesn't burn oil like my 5.3 does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd