Turndown sound on tahoe/yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdestb3st

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering how a turndown exhaust (or 2) would sound on a tahoe or yukon

correct me if im wrong
but a turndown (from what i have learned) is when you cut the exhaust pipe in half so it goes headers, shorter pipe, muffler, then a couple inches of pipe facing the ground

there might be a diffrent name for it but its just the name all my friends use when talkin about it
it sounds pretty good on trucks, just wondering how it would sound on a tahoe/yukon

thanks,

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah thats what it is, also known as dumped.
It sounds good but you may have to worry about fumes getting in the cab, **** on the undercarriage, and excesssive interior noise.
Can't forget that it is also easier for water to get in the system...

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
most lowered trucks, SUV's and you can't see the pipe is dumped. I have a 50 series Flowmaster on mine dumped right after the muffler. Sounds great. Look around when driving, and if you see a truck,etc with no tail pipe, I bet it's dumped. makes for a nice, deep rumble.

PS welcome to the site!

OP
OP
M

mdestb3st

Reaction score
haha thanks bro, ya'll sound nice around here lol

and i seee but how much do you think it would be around to get two, if possible?

nd i think the fumes can get in the cab if the pipe is too short
but im not positive on that one

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can, but as long as these are computer controlled, and you have cats, it's not noticeable at all. If you already have the muffler, usually muffler shops will charge like $20-$30 to add turndowns.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
No matterwhat, doing two of those won't be as expensive as doing duals all the way to teh back. I would say just makesre the pipe is actaully turn down where it ends.
SHould run probably around $200 with a muffler (single in/dual out) and install.
Also duals is more of visual thing, if your dumping keep it single....

OP
OP
M

mdestb3st

Reaction score
wait computer controlled?
what if you had the shop make you a muffler and everything
like my friend got a turndown on his silverado and the shop took out the entire exhuast (besides headers) and they made the muffler and everything for him...it cost him around 100
it sounds great though
is that completely different from what you were thinking?

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

and i wanted to put 2 for more noise, do you know if it would sound worse with 2?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
computer controlled, like non carbureted :D

you can find a decent muffler, Flowmaster, or a Turbo muffler, and have a turndown right after the muffler. Look at mufflers at Advanced, Pep Boys, etc...

craw under your truck, and see if your muffler is center in/center out, or offset in/offset out,etc.

see how the factory pipe goes IN, no worries on out if you plan to dump it.

it would be louder with two.

OP
OP
M

mdestb3st

Reaction score
i seeee, well thanks alot for the info guys! really appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TU1881