Turn steering with engine not running...should or should no do? 2013 Escalade ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'morning, gentlemen.

I have a stupid question: is it a bad idea to turn the steering of my 2013 Escalade ESV with the engine off? Meaning does it cause issues with the power steering hydraulic system?
I know this seems simple, but I come from over 8 years with my 1999 Explorer. On it, turning the steering with the engine off introduced air into the power steering system, and was a pain to bleed out.

This coming weekend, I am doing more brake work on my Escalade, and would like to know if I need to keep starting the engine every time I need to turn the steering for access to the calipers.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, agree with @George B, no problem turning with engine off, especially since will be off the ground. Easiest to use steering wheel but I have grabbed the caliper body and pushed/pulled on rotor and turned that way too.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, agree with @George B, no problem turning with engine off, especially since will be off the ground. Easiest to use steering wheel but I have grabbed the caliper body and pushed/pulled on rotor and turned that way too.

Sweet!
That is how I do it when I work on my little 1984 S-10 and its recirculating ball power steering gear.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way, there had to be something wrong with that 99 Explorer steering system. The system is sealed unless has a leak somewhere. Or, could have been low enough in the pump reservoir that the fluid, being pushed and pulled in there, could have aerated in there and bubbles of air formed and caused the problem.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, there had to be something wrong with that 99 Explorer steering system. The system is sealed unless has a leak somewhere. Or, could have been low enough in the pump reservoir that the fluid, being pushed and pulled in there, could have aerated in there and bubbles of air formed and caused the problem.
I would agree, except it was common lore for all 2nd Generation Explorers. The service manual even warned against turning the steering without the engine running the pump. It was quite the pain in the kazooie when doing brake and suspension work.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes most systems self bleed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts