Turn off horn when key leaves the car??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The honking has two sources.

1. When you leave the vehicle while it is running...with the fob in hand (not in the car). It does not honk on my 2016 XLT XL or 2017 Suburban. It did honk on my 2015 XLT XL and happened on my 2014 Cadillac ATS. I don't remember if there was a setting for this issue, but I will check tonight. I believe the behavior of the car is just changed with no setting to support the change. Again, different GM cars may Implement this on different model years and different software versions may adjust this within a single model year. I do not have a denali to check this.

2. When you leave the car with the engine off and the key fob is left in the car. It will honk depending on the setting. The car may get confused if you have two fobs. One that left the car with you and one that stayed in the car. The screen shots address this concern.

I don't have the triple honk on either of your examples. The very first day I had this car I disabled the alert. In my 2016 XL Denali this is the menu sequence: Settings > Vehicle > Remote Lock, Unlock, Start > Remote Left in Vehicle Alert

IMG_3709.JPG

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. So on my '16 SLT XL, I cannot get the honks when I have the engine running and the fob in my pocket. This is UNLIKE my 2015. I cannot find a setting to turn this on/off so it appears that GM stopped this by software version/model year/some sort of combination of this. (Scenario 1)

I can get it to honk if I leave the fob IN the car when it is not running. (Scenario 2).

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
My 2017 Suburban will honk if the engine is running and I take the keys out of the truck.
It will also honk if I leave the keys in the truck when the engine is not running.
I haven't had a chance to look at the menus to see if the warnings can be turned off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DetcJohnKimble

Latest posts