Turbo diesel for the Denali!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inline 6 diesel will have the same 10-speed transmission as the 5.3 and 6.2. The Duramax also has a 10-speed which has been branded an Allison though it too is a GM creation. This is my understanding of what has been read anyway.

That's sad. GM has upped their game recently with the newer transmissions, but IMHO, they're still second to the Allison. I, too, would have preferred the Duramax/Allison duo like what's been serving us so well in our '02 GMC.

Any idea who is making that sixer?

cdgtahoe

Reaction score
That's sad. GM has upped their game recently with the newer transmissions, but IMHO, they're still second to the Allison. I, too, would have preferred the Duramax/Allison duo like what's been serving us so well in our '02 GMC.

Any idea who is making that sixer?
GM makes it is what I have read.

Big Bad Allis

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to test driving a 2021 with the small Duramax. I think it should be a great match for the Yukons, Tahoe/Burban and the Escalades. I prefer diesels over gasoline engines for most applications.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to test driving a 2021 with the small Duramax. I think it should be a great match for the Yukons, Tahoe/Burban and the Escalades. I prefer diesels over gasoline engines for most applications.

Although I am not contemplating buying a newer truck, I am curious to see what kind of power this little D-Max will make once Banks or some of the other companies get ahold of it.

Horsepower is ok but I love torque... probably stems from driving my Grandfather's old crew cab GMC dually around with that 454 in it when I was a kid. Nothing like breathing on the throttle and breaking loose all 4 rear tires on that beast... lol

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 10 speed is a pretty stout unit and proves to be very responsive once tuned. I wish GM had a better tune with the 10speeds that are out now. I believe ford runs the exact same 10 speed in the f150s. (designing the 10speed was a joint venture between ford and chevy). However the fords run so much better stock vs stock. It will be interesting to see how GM changes the 10speed tuning to act proper behind a diesel.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 10 speed is a pretty stout unit and proves to be very responsive once tuned. I wish GM had a better tune with the 10speeds that are out now. I believe ford runs the exact same 10 speed in the f150s. (designing the 10speed was a joint venture between ford and chevy). However the fords run so much better stock vs stock. It will be interesting to see how GM changes the 10speed tuning to act proper behind a diesel.

Yup, if they dont change the tuning between the two motors, one will certainly not be “tuned”.

Big Bad Allis

Reaction score
The inline 6 diesel will have the same 10-speed transmission as the 5.3 and 6.2. The Duramax also has a 10-speed which has been branded an Allison though it too is a GM creation. This is my understanding of what has been read anyway.

I don't think they will be calling it an Allison. Allison is very particular about their design and branding. Since it was not developed by them and being shared over many platforms and brands that will be unlikely.

I am excited to test drive one of the new 2021 models with the small Duramax. I've owned a 6.6 and really liked it. I think the small Duramax will be perfectly adequate for the SUV's. My 6.6 always powered the truck and a 14,000 load. No need on the SUV.

LDMoore

Reaction score
Just to clarify we're talking about 2 completely different 10 speeds here. The 10 speed in the half tons and suvs is a GM and Ford venture used over several platforms and is not an Allison. They have no part in it. The 10 speed behind the 6.6 Duramax on the other hand is very much an Allison. Yes GM has a big part in it but no more than the previous 2 Allisons. Nothing has changed except the transmission itself. They started with a 5 speed in 01 then upgraded to a 6 speed in 05 (I believe) and now upgraded again for 2020. It's still the Duramax/Allison combo we know and love now with 4 more gears

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify we're talking about 2 completely different 10 speeds here. The 10 speed in the half tons and suvs is a GM and Ford venture used over several platforms and is not an Allison. They have no part in it. The 10 speed behind the 6.6 Duramax on the other hand is very much an Allison. Yes GM has a big part in it but no more than the previous 2 Allisons. Nothing has changed except the transmission itself. They started with a 5 speed in 01 then upgraded to a 6 speed in 05 (I believe) and now upgraded again for 2020. It's still the Duramax/Allison combo we know and love now with 4 more gears

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Exactly right Leland.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohd/2020.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01