Truck getting harder to start...wtf?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the fuel pump, sometimes they just give up the ghost without warning but most of the time they do what yours is doing, getting harder and harder to start until it finally dies. Start pricing them out and if you don't wanna do it yourself find a good shop to do it for you!

OP
OP
Mr45

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell ya, fuel pump.

OK, but would a screwy fuel pump not cause problems when running, accelerating, and general driving? Why only on start up?

I second the fuel pump, sometimes they just give up the ghost without warning but most of the time they do what yours is doing, getting harder and harder to start until it finally dies. Start pricing them out and if you don't wanna do it yourself find a good shop to do it for you!

How hard is it to change out? Anybody do it themselves before?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's not holding enough pressure on start up...and get's worse. Like a line holding 100 psi, then 80psi, then 60 psi, ....when running, it has enough to keep it running,circulating. But kind of like a sllllllow draggin shift is a sign of loosing tranny, longer crank time could be sign of fuel pump going out.
They are a PIA, most dealers charge like $500 to install one.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Its not that bad if you have a lift tho and an extra buddy to hold the tank and to do the lines for ya.. have you done anything with your fuel filter??

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like either a clogged filter or the pump to me. Mine just took a shit a few weeks back on our way out to Cali, luckily it didn't die completely and we made it to our destination. North County GMC in Carlsbad charged $998 to change it out! Covered under my extended warranty though, just paid the $100 deductible.

Try replacing the filter first, and see if that solves the problem. If not, time to consider a problem with the pump itself.

OP
OP
Mr45

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter it is. I'll do that tomorrow and update on my findings.

I did notice though, if I turn the ignition on for a few seconds, and then start it, it seems to start up much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia