Truck died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that’s what I found, I knew I wanted to replace the whole unit but ACdelco didn’t make a whole unit, I would have had to piece it together. They only sold the pump as a stand alone and I knew I needed a new float, which is why the spectra stood out.

Once I get the truck back in the garage I’ll ascertain the issues and see if I can manually jump the pump without the relay, if I can’t, then I know the pump is fried and I’ll order the ACdelco pump.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it is the pump you should be able to just swap the pump motor over and reuse the sending unit.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ill use a spectra tank but i wont use much else from spectra beyond that. never really had any luck with much from them.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, that's why if I had an older rig like this I would have gotten a AC Delco pump and then attach it to an AC Delco sending unit or a Dorman sending unit.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your new fuel pump and sending unit come with a new pigtail for the truck side of the wiring harness? I know that on my 1998 rig, the truck side of the harness went bad. Pretty sure this was a common failure point. Years ago, my rig would occasionally not start. I could reach up in the wheel well and wiggle the fuel pump connector. It would usually start up. I finally dropped the tank and changed out the pump unit which came with a new pigtail for the truck side of the harness. Problem solved. I'm not sure if the 1996 models had this same failure point but something to consider. Good luck.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok kinda getting pissed here.

update:
Finally got around to dropping the tank, again, and pulling the fuel pump. I have a new ACdelco on hand to Go in. But first I wanted to verify that it wasn’t working so I tried to start the truck, didn’t hear it prime, the tried to start, cranks, nothing.
So out cane the gas tank, got the fuel pump out, everyone looks good, wiring looks fine, ground is good.

so I decide to check the pump directly, I attached 2 alligator clips to the prongs on the pump and the others to a full battery.... THE DAMN PUMP WORKS!!

the hell is going on?? I checked alll the fuses again, the ECM-B which controls the fuel pump power, that’s all good, remember I also changed the relay too, everything is good...

so what the hell is causing the fuel pump not to turn on or prime? Would the Ignition Control Module do this?

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New pump in, no change, tried to jump pins 30 and 87 on the relay, that didn’t work either

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a close look at and /or wiggle the pump connector on truck. could be corroded, wires inside plastic sheath corroded, check the ground connection not far from the tank. May have to replace connector and find new ground.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a close look at and /or wiggle the pump connector on truck. could be corroded, wires inside plastic sheath corroded, check the ground connection not far from the tank. May have to replace connector and find new ground.
I’ll do that, and report back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE