Truck died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my daughter was driving and the truck just died. It cranks but won’t run, I can hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on, but it’s like a loud odd sound, not like a normal hum.

when the pumps go bad, do they do this, or are they just dead? Never had a fuel pump go out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That loud noise almost sounds like it lost prime. Just guessing at this point. How full is the tank? How old is the filter? Leaving a fuel filter on too long can cause the pump to work so hard it will burn itself up but that usually means no noise at all. Fluid pumping motors will make a louder sound when prime is lost. Check fuel pressure. Do you have spark? Basics first.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how much gas is in it? If low or was low try the rubber mallet as Ron mentioned it sounds starved. It’s free......

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/2 tank, I’ll try that and see if it works,

fuel filter probably has 12k miles on it, I have a new one ready to change it.

I need to get it home first, it’s like 2miles away, a friend of mine is going to help me tow it home tomorrow afternoon

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive had this happen on an astro van and the pump setup is the same. real wierd sound and either not running at all or running so poorly it might as well not be running. as your at half a tank also makes me think you have a similar issue i did with that old astro work van. the hose that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit sits at about the 1/2 tank level. gas drops below that and bam nothing but fuel pump issues. only way i can see testing that would be to put more gas in it but it would still run like garbage. i had to limp that astro van for about 2 weeks before they let me fix it.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck back home, just pulled the fuel filter, I can easily blow through it so it was not clogged. Thinking of pulling the tank and changing the fuel pump, sounds like it’s stuck or something inside the pump is broke, it obviously has power going to it

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so ive had this happen on an astro van and the pump setup is the same. real wierd sound and either not running at all or running so poorly it might as well not be running. as your at half a tank also makes me think you have a similar issue i did with that old astro work van. the hose that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit sits at about the 1/2 tank level. gas drops below that and bam nothing but fuel pump issues. only way i can see testing that would be to put more gas in it but it would still run like garbage. i had to limp that astro van for about 2 weeks before they let me fix it.
And what was the final fix for it? New pump?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what was the final fix for it? New pump?
well technically if you catch it fast enough before the pump burns out you could just replace the rubber hose. but you have to drop the tank to do it anyway might as well do the fuel pump while your there. for a more visual test if you do drop the tank when you get the sending unit free. while your holding the sending unit you can check for splits in the rubber hose. if you dont see any leave the pump screen in the gasoline and have someone cycle the key.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tried to find a good picture of what im talking about but i cant find one that shows it well enough. either way your going to find either a rubber hose or a piece of flexible type hose coming off the top of the pump itself. ive also heard it rumored to actually have the pump fall off in some cases either due to the plastic hose clamps failing or the hose failing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts