Trouble cranking engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently, my 2004 Tahoe Z 71 has started giving us trouble when cranking the engine. When you turn the key it seems to crank for longer than usual and sometimes won't start The first time. The key, seems to get stuck there for a few are seconds. Once started, it always runs well. I don't notice any other problems.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked. It is At 42 PSI. Pretty steady. When I accelerate it goes up a bit then levels back at around 42.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading through a few posts and only checked it when running. I will need to verify it again both with ignition on and with engine running.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better check the specs, these pumps should put out around 58psi. Also, check bleed off pressure. Turn key on, prime rail to max pressure then turn key off and see how fast it drops back to zero. Mine went to zero in about 2 seconds which was giving me fits trying to crank it. I replaced the pump assembly to fix the issue.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, did pressure test again. Truck was warm and had just ran after a 15 min trip. When i turn ignition on, pressure goes up to about 7psi. Then i cranked it and it had trouble cranking first time. Second time started right up and pressure went up to a steady 42 psi.

Turn off truck, pressure dropped pretty steady to 20psi after 10 seconds, 15 after 20 seconds. When i put ignition back on, (not starting truck) the psi went up to 42, but then started dropping again. It cranked up fine that time.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been looking through manual but for some reason I can seem to find the fuel pump/tank section. I have the FSM PDFs. Anyone know where to look?

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youre anti drainback is no good, just like mine was. It should hold pressure for an hour to several days....not 10 secs.

OP
OP
R

Red Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that means replacing the entire pump it? I've already purchased a Delphi pump. Should be arriving next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preinternet