Tried to replace steering shaft bearing '97 Tahoe...wtf is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I just went based on what I found when doing some google searches, you are correct, entirely possible this isn't the issue...or it could be one of a couple issues .. either way, in several videos the symptoms described where identical along with the intermediate shaft being pretty loose - able to move it up / down pretty easily and "clunk clunk". so was going to replace the bearing based on those symptoms and others having done that procedure... along with replacing the *lower* intermediate shaft which was next on my project list (already purchased replacement) to help with the loose steering. I'm ok with a bit of guessing and trial & error. These are fairly inexpensive parts and I wanted to learn and be more comfortable (and hopefully with some wins) move up to some other projects.

So was thinking - its certainly not going to make it worse with 150k miles and 24 years on the road... I just want to make sure I am doing it right and not, through my own ignorance, making something potentially dangerous on the road as a result.

To that end - I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe what I thought of as a single part is actually two different things - the sensor and then the bearing. Even the GM partsonline catalog just shows a bearing (however discontinued, hence the Dorman part purchase).

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, sleep on it and more video research and my MO is to replace everything I can while it is apart. I do not want to remove parts to get to another one and then put the same old part back in after. If it is a wearable part, it gets done. See proof at my build thread in Under Construction near bottom of forum home page. I am spending my money the way I want, so "while I am in there" is something I think about on my rig.

I had to say my rig, because someone else like @Tonyrodz, would turn it in to something filthy. But then again, so would I.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have column out of truck it is easy fix.
First though if shaft isn't flopping around in housing enough for you to feel while column still in truck, then bearing is ok. Grab bottom shaft, You can feel the shaft moving, usually either alot or none.
There is a special fastener connecting the two shafts, on reinstall proper torque is very inportant.
My experience with GMT400 steering sloppy is Pittman/idler arm/tie rods/ball joints/Gearbox.
The EVO should have been a recall for removal. Many other threads on Evo steering But bottom line is use pressure hose from 96 to replace evo valve at power steering pump.

wilcfr

Reaction score
That's the steering wheel sensor. I replaced mine on my 97 to tighten up the steering response. It worked wonders.