Treating/blasting frame rails

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by no cigar, May 24, 2018.

1. no cigar

no cigar Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Hey guys. I'm curious how any of ya'll might have gone about treating or blasting the frame of the truck for rust and corrosion..... with the body on or only slightly detached?

At a minimum I'd want to do the frame from the firewall forward. I'm starting to look into a restoration and I really wouldn't feel right not addressing flash rust and such -- possible corrosion due to having the truck on the Texas coast for 2-3 years.

2. camaroz2887

camaroz2887 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Kacey
    Hi no cigar
    I can’t really speak about how to do it for your vehicle as I really have no firsthand knowledge.

However I can say I’ve had good luck with chassis saver from http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp. Some people prefer por-15, and some would say neither but it’s worth lookin into atleast.

Good luck

3. TARDIS

TARDIS Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Matt
    https://www.amazon.com/Corroseal-82...=UTF8&qid=1531331013&sr=1-1&keywords=coraseal

This is Corroseal. It does a great job and it is EASY.

I'll post some pics soon. I'm doing this to my Yukon.

Scrub off the surface rust, just the powder and flakes. Then brush or spray coat the surface. The chemicals turns everything white. It's fine to apply thick coats. A few hours later, the rust conversion turns everything a matte black that looks very OEM.

Here’s what I started with. I’ll post pics of the process.

17726ADA-F36A-4FA9-99F1-65471BAD06A1.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    00'BlueSteel and HiHoeSilver like this.
  4. fastpat

fastpat Senior Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Pat
    Whatever you do, don't actually use sand to clean the surface. It cut's too much of the surface. Use glass beads, walnut hulls, or baking soda to clean the surface.

I'd use a chemical coating first, as recommended above or something like POR-15. I'm a big enthusiast of high zinc containing coatings on top of the other chemical treatments.

Let's us know what you chose, please.

TARDIS and 00'BlueSteel like this.