Transmission Temperature When Not Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
I'm using a aftermarket shop to do the work. Will ask about 3:73 and trutrac but I do worry about mpg a bit. Having a larger radiator all aluminum with oil cooler tank installed tomorrow. Day after that having a 30-40k btu trans cooler and addition oil cooler installed, then I going to install AirLift bags in the rear coils along with a set of air shocks. That should hold me over until I get the rear end gears changed out.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my 3.73s and gas guzzling mods I get 14/19 city/highway.

While I was towing the race car I got 10/14

NativH

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Calicajun,

According to your Owner's Manual on Vehicle Care portion page 5, it states that the transmission temperature should stay between 140°F and 167°F.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Jennifer,

Thanks for the answer but my '13 Z71 Tahoe regularly exceeds 185F and hits 200+ regularly on highway driving, no trailer. I could throw it off a cliff on a hot summer day in Texas and exceed 167F. So with my factory installed towing package and everything, I still need ANOTHER auxiliary transmission cooler? Now I have a pretty good idea why everyone said I should expect to need a new transmission at 70K miles if I bought a Tahoe. Extended warranty or not, I HATE replacing original major parts on any vehicle I own. They are never the same after that repair.

If this vehicle is really designed to run transmission temperatures at 140F to 167F, it was not designed for Texas, ambient temperatures over 60F, traffic, or being driven by anyone younger than 85 years of age. Not trying to be mean, but this is crazy (and that wasn't the first word that came to mind BTW).:disgust:

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jennifer,

Thanks for the answer but my '13 Z71 Tahoe regularly exceeds 185F and hits 200+ regularly on highway driving, no trailer. I could throw it off a cliff on a hot summer day in Texas and exceed 167F. So with my factory installed towing package and everything, I still need ANOTHER auxiliary transmission cooler? Now I have a pretty good idea why everyone said I should expect to need a new transmission at 70K miles if I bought a Tahoe. Extended warranty or not, I HATE replacing original major parts on any vehicle I own. They are never the same after that repair.

If this vehicle is really designed to run transmission temperatures at 140F to 167F, it was not designed for Texas, ambient temperatures over 60F, traffic, or being driven by anyone younger than 85 years of age. Not trying to be mean, but this is crazy (and that wasn't the first word that came to mind BTW).:disgust:

I will have to check also, but I'd be surprised if my Trans temp was within that range is South Florida.

aflumb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked up my trailer today. The empty weight was 3450lbs. Now with hoe in tow mode I only got above 200 when I was in stop go traffic. But out of town I was around 185-190.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I picked up my trailer today. The empty weight was 3450lbs. Now with hoe in tow mode I only got above 200 when I was in stop go traffic. But out of town I was around 185-190.

And you have a aftermarket cooler?

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Installed the new trans cooler today, well mounted it in the Tahoe anyway. Ran out of light so will have to connect the lines tomorrow morning. A little nervous about cutting trans lines but it has to be done. Wish me luck, it been a long time I have done this type of work.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Tested out the newly installed Trans cooler towing a 5,900 lbs travel trailer around town and up some pretty good hills. Highest trans temp was 195 going up a steep grade three time from a dead stop. Trans cooler seems to be working great. Guess that means I did a good install job. Just wished I had installed the new radiator myself, having a engine cooling problem. Top radiator hose hot the bottom radiator hose cold as ice. So I'm having the Tahoe towed back to the shop that installed the new radiator. This time I will stay there all day to make sure it is done right this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21tahoepos