Transmission temp sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmclaughlin67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL. My gauge cluster doesn’t have a trans temp sensor, but I would definitely prefer to have it. Also, two of my background lights (I was told by some of you it’s most likely a broken solder) have gone out. I have no problem fixing it, but have seen a lot of clusters for sale that have the trans temp gauge on there. If i just swapped it on to my vehicle, would it actually work and just read off the ECM? Or would I need to install the sensor into the transmission myself?

Also, any tips on reprogramming the mileage on the possible second-hand cluster? Is it fairly simple or is it a painful process. I’m not scared of a project, just wanted to hear from all of you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Yukon XL. My gauge cluster doesn’t have a trans temp sensor, but I would definitely prefer to have it. Also, two of my background lights (I was told by some of you it’s most likely a broken solder) have gone out. I have no problem fixing it, but have seen a lot of clusters for sale that have the trans temp gauge on there. If i just swapped it on to my vehicle, would it actually work and just read off the ECM? Or would I need to install the sensor into the transmission myself?

Also, any tips on reprogramming the mileage on the possible second-hand cluster? Is it fairly simple or is it a painful process. I’m not scared of a project, just wanted to hear from all of you.
all gm suv/pickup since at least 2000 have a transmission temp sensor built in, so all you need to do is add the gauge to the cluster or buy a cluster with the gauge.
BUT...... it is not plug-n-play per sey you need to have the cluster programmed to your vin (many places offer this service)
adding the temp gauge alone will not work either the eprom has to be moddified to enable it.
doing it yourself (programming) is not reasonably possible without special adapters and software and presumably a learning curve
cheaper-faster-easier to just buy a used or rebuilt one programmed to your vin.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any good gauge repair service will be able to either replace the backlighting bulbs or change them to LEDs as well as add a tranny temp gauge and program the eeprom for that.

Well worth the money to have done; I had mine done here but now all Carl offers are stock or custom replacements. https://www.fixmygauges.com/

He refers customers to this repair service in Tennessee: https://usdashworks.com/

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I lucked out in having a dumb one ( pre 2003 ), mine was a P-n-P with no programming needed. I did need to send it out to get the correct mileage, however ;)
if it came with a transmission temp gauge it will work just mileage will not be right as stated, if you just solder in a gauge to a cluster it will not work until the eprom is programmed.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it came with a transmission temp gauge it will work just mileage will not be right as stated, if you just solder in a gauge to a cluster it will not work until the eprom is programmed.
I meant "dumb" as in having air-core steppers as opposed to the electronic ones in 2003+ clusters. But the old circuit boards that originally came w/o the trans temp gauge OEM don't have the contact points. I thought about trying to program the EPROM myself, but it wasn't cost-effective when I could send it out for $125 +/-.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also just use a 2500/2500HD cluster. I did this to my 99 Silverado 1500 NBS to gain the transmission temperature gauge. It's plug and play, except for the odometer. The Denali cluster is a popular swap.

The only thing to consider is the 99-02 (00-02 SUVs) and 03+ clusters are different, so get a cluster that matches your year that has the transmission temperature gauge.

I found a local guy that programmed the miles. He did the LED upgrade for an additional $30 or so.

On my 06 Suburban 2500 I did the LED upgrade myself from the eBay kits. I did the cluster and the HVAC module. It's not that difficult. Just need a soldering iron and a little patience.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It was easy for me on my 2005 Z71. Temp sensor is in the transmission and the wiring is ran to the back of the cluster. I ordered a custom cluster from Digital Dash Solutions/fixmygauges.com and they needed the VIN and mileage and it was plug and play when I received it. $250 and they provide a return shipping ticket and you just return the old cluster in the shipping box and that way you get a lifetime warranty on the cluster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019