Trans temp gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Anyone add a trans temp gauge to the A pillar or elsewhere on the dash? Or have a good link to what someone else has done?

I fried my transmission to ring in the new year, and I'd like to avoid it in the future if possible. I generally monitor temps (long trips and towing) through the gauge cluster, but I'd prefer to not have to cycle to it. Or make sure someone else is cycling to it while driving. Of specific concern is off-roading, which I think is the scenario that pushed my transmission over the edge.

I have a dongle and phone app too, but again, steps are involved. Just looking for something to be right in my face all the time. Thanks.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel it's worth mentioning that the autosync (btdieselworks) makes it easier to display transmission temp.
It's just one (or two) presses on the left mirror adjust to display the guage set that shows trans temp.
I forget if it's one or two, but there's only 2 guage sets that will cycle when you hit the left mirror adjust.

Still a step, but MUCH easier/faster than scrolling through the DIC menu.
Easy enough that you can do it without thinking when you decide to check temps.

-AND- you get a some very good features like remote windows and rearview camera checking.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My diablosport shows all sorts of stuff including trans temp
You can set up whatever you want and the parameters too with warnings

I just use it as a monitor, but if you are stock you could take advantage of some
of the other things it does too.. I am HPTuners tuned, so I only use it because
even the factory water temp gauge is SOOOO inaccurate

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
I feel it's worth mentioning that the autosync (btdieselworks) makes it easier to display transmission temp.
It's just one (or two) presses on the left mirror adjust to display the guage set that shows trans temp.
I forget if it's one or two, but there's only 2 guage sets that will cycle when you hit the left mirror adjust.
Never heard of that, looks interesting. Are you using one? Does it stay plugged in?

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
My diablosport shows all sorts of stuff including trans temp
You can set up whatever you want and the parameters too with warnings

I just use it as a monitor, but if you are stock you could take advantage of some
of the other things it does too.. I am HPTuners tuned, so I only use it because
even the factory water temp gauge is SOOOO inaccurate

My Tahoe is running a tune via HPTuners as well. Who worked on your tune? Anyone from the HPTuners forum? Also, how is the mishimoto radiator? Is it drop in?

I somewhat cleaned out my trans cooler lines and noticed a bunch of metal bits. Am going to pull the current radiator to flush, and am debating on just replacing it.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe is running a tune via HPTuners as well. Who worked on your tune? Anyone from the HPTuners forum? Also, how is the mishimoto radiator? Is it drop in?

I somewhat cleaned out my trans cooler lines and noticed a bunch of metal bits. Am going to pull the current radiator to flush, and am debating on just replacing it.
I did my current tune myself. The Mishi radiator is a beast. I installed it when I put my
edelbrock supercharger on.... and had a local place dyno tune it.. but they really never got the
tune right. It was such a gas pig. So I pulled off the SC and did a cam and cylinder head work.
If you have debris in your trans cooler lines, then you have trash in your transmission !!
You may have a converter coming apart

OP
OP
D

DesertRat

Reaction score
I did my current tune myself. The Mishi radiator is a beast. I installed it when I put my
edelbrock supercharger on.... and had a local place dyno tune it.. but they really never got the
tune right. It was such a gas pig. So I pulled off the SC and did a cam and cylinder head work.
If you have debris in your trans cooler lines, then you have trash in your transmission !!
You may have a converter coming apart

My transmission and convertor are FUBAR. Transmission guy couldn't even take everything apart because parts are melted together. Is the radiator you have the drop in replacement one, or a universal one?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My transmission and convertor are FUBAR. Transmission guy couldn't even take everything apart because parts are melted together. Is the radiator you have the drop in replacement one, or a universal one?
Dropped right in basically !! It's expensive though

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of that, looks interesting. Are you using one? Does it stay plugged in?
Yes it stays plugged in. I do use one, and like it very much!
(BTW it's two presses left to get the trans temp to show)

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would replace it and the additional external transmission cooler, if so equipped. Almost impossible to get the metal flushed out of either. The factory radiators are made by Denso if you want to stay OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019