Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a long-time transmission shop owner I would suggest that whatever trans you go with make sure it is a nationwide parts AND LABOR warranty. On that vehicle 2WD R&R books about 6 hours including flushing the cooler and cooler lines. Add about 2 hours book time for 4WD/AWD. My better guys could do these in about 75 minutes out and 90 in. Labor rates vary widely nationwide, but not many places are @ $150 except the dealer, especially on a GM.
Generally, if stock HP, a rebuild with standard grade components is sufficient. Corvette servo is a decent, cheap upgrade along with a beefier sun shell and maybe an EPC. But there is TONS of money wasted in so-called upgrades to parts that are immaterial to performance.

Transmissions purchased at the dealership are not NEW, they are rebuilt/re-manufactured. But for the warranty service aspect, you may want to investigate the cost of the factory reman unit. You can buy and have installed at any shop. Be CERTAIN that they flush the cooler and lines, this is crucial.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
It's our local AAMCO. 2 year warranty includes parts and labor. I don't mind paying a bit more. I already had it towed to the shop and that was free, unless I don't have it repaired there. At this point, saving a few hundred in labor isn't worth it. As long as $3250 isn't a complete rip off, I'm fine with that. I also wanted to make sure he wasn't bullshitting me because I know almost nothing about transmissions.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a long-time transmission shop owner I would suggest that whatever trans you go with make sure it is a nationwide parts AND LABOR warranty. On that vehicle 2WD R&R books about 6 hours including flushing the cooler and cooler lines. Add about 2 hours book time for 4WD/AWD. My better guys could do these in about 75 minutes out and 90 in. Labor rates vary widely nationwide, but not many places are @ $150 except the dealer, especially on a GM.
Generally, if stock HP, a rebuild with standard grade components is sufficient. Corvette servo is a decent, cheap upgrade along with a beefier sun shell and maybe an EPC. But there is TONS of money wasted in so-called upgrades to parts that are immaterial to performance.

Transmissions purchased at the dealership are not NEW , they are rebuilt/re-manufactured.
a decent shop that just does transmissions can do it quicker that is why 1200$ labor is a rip off

they call it gravy

I checked locally here in California it's $450 labor cost @ 4 hours plus the cost of fluid

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe I mixed up the labor for replacement versus rebuild. Their price seems in line with most of what I've seen, though, and they have a better reputation than the other transmission shops here.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
That seems a little high to me. Does the $4K include installation?

For $4K I got a brand new transmission installed, out the door, at a GMC dealer, with a GM factory 100K mile warranty on parts and labor.

My bother just got his transmisison replaced by the chevy dealer and aslo paid like 4k drive out
It's our local AAMCO. 2 year warranty includes parts and labor. I don't mind paying a bit more. I already had it towed to the shop and that was free, unless I don't have it repaired there. At this point, saving a few hundred in labor isn't worth it. As long as $3250 isn't a complete rip off, I'm fine with that. I also wanted to make sure he wasn't bullshitting me because I know almost nothing about transmissions.

I would not use AAMCO, I had a bad experience with those clowns.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop manual for R&R is 7.6 hours. Shop labor to rebuild is 16.4 hours without the torque converter or "valve body".

Now, did you look up those codes John? They really have nothing to do with the hard parts of the transmission. They have to do with the solenoids inside. They either got stuck or failed. Could be from dirty fluid or could be just worn out. The TECHM (24275872) is under $600 and the transmission does not have to come out. They can actually be rebuilt for less than a quarter of that price even: https://www.amazon.com/Sonnax-12474028K-Pressure-Switch-Rebuild/dp/B072C63HMY

We pay for what we don't know about. Having said that, we can't know everything!

Love the color of your Denali, my wife would too if she saw it!

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
I saw that the codes were saying solenoids, but the transmission shop said it was also binding up. The truck wouldn't move in any gear or reverse, but it seemed like it wanted to. It was doing exactly the same thing in neutral.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that the codes were saying solenoids, but the transmission shop said it was also binding up. The truck wouldn't move in any gear or reverse, but it seemed like it wanted to. It was doing exactly the same thing in neutral.

P0751 is for your 1-2 Shift Solenoid. This code says it is stuck in the off position resulting in no 1st, 4th or 5th gear.

P0777 is for your Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid #2 being stuck on. There are a number of things that can cause this, from the simple to not so simple.

The Tech-2 can perform tests, cleaning and view Failure Records and such to properly diagnose this and test the individual parts before even opening up the transmission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Id be cautious, As stated above from a trans shop owner, the labor seems excessive. They have the "your not going anywhere without a tow truck" mentality. Call the dealer, they will come get it and go with their nation wide warranty and factory reputation and claims resolution in the event somthing does not go as expected. just my opinion.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 Yukon Denali went into limp mode last night and threw codes p0700, p0751, and p0777. I pulled to the side of the road, put it in park and shut it off. When I started it back up, while in gear, it wouldn't move. It felt like it was trying to, but barely. It behaved the same way in neutral.

So, I had it towed to the transmission shop and was told it needed to be rebuilt. They've quoted me $3250 on the low end, assuming nothing is wrong with the torque convertor and the gears. I'm leaning in that direction, but does that sound accurate to rebuild these transmissions?
P0700 is just to turn on the check engine light

P0751 Shift solenoid valve A Stuck OFF

X valve is determined to be in a Hydrauilcally low Position when it has been commanded Hydrauilcally High Position..

P0777 Pressure control solenoid stuck ON

Pressure control solenoid 2 is stuck in the Hydrauilcally High Position

does not look like a mechanical failure but solenoid failure...(i would replace them all though)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craigmurdock