Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrewg29

Reaction score
It's an 02 z71 tahoe... Today I was at a stop sign, thank God I was the only one around, and my transmission tried to start out in second. Well It was barely crawling so I put it in park and back into drive and it jerked really hard. Luckily I made it home but with a lot of jerking. As I was driving I definitely felt a major decrease in power. Is my transmission about to go?

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
In my case I went w/ Vett servo, upgraded sprag, and went from a 5 clutch to a seven clutch setup. Basically eliminated all the weak spots.. I'm stock tune, AWD with a full exhaust (Supermaxx longtubes w/ corsa sport) With that it is a very comfortable daily driver, but the shifts are a lot quicker and a little harder. I only notice it after I've been in a stock truck..

OP
OP
andrewg29

andrewg29

Reaction score
In my case I went w/ Vett servo, upgraded sprag, and went from a 5 clutch to a seven clutch setup. Basically eliminated all the weak spots.. I'm stock tune, AWD with a full exhaust (Supermaxx longtubes w/ corsa sport) With that it is a very comfortable daily driver, but the shifts are a lot quicker and a little harder. I only notice it after I've been in a stock truck..
How much do you think that would run? This is my first car and my parents are trying to teach me responsibility, but they said they'd pay for half.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
I think my rebuild/upgrade ran me about $2300 which honestly, I think was reasonable.. The upgrade is totally worth it to me, bc a rebuild alone is maybe only a couple hundred dollars less, if even that..

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seriously you guys no troubleshooting just BAM new tranny
okay lets pump our brakes and slow down before andrew blows lots of money he doesnt need to
That being said and based on the symptoms youve described i would say thats a big NO your tranny is not going to out
and if you still it does please go stand in the corner you need a time out
check the trans fluid level wich ill assume
the levels were fine becuase if it was really low we wouldnt be having this discussion then go through all yer gears? post wich ones if any dont work? and does it shift harshly when its going from 1st to 2nd only ? or does it always want to start in 2nd? its possible yer lookin at either throttle position sensor or maybe the electronic pressure control solenoid give some more specifics on yer transmission symptoms itll help narrow down the possible problems

Last edited:

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
just for the record I didn't say replace it.. Just rebuild, if anything.. Just saying..
Mine had many odd issues, randlomly holding 1st, not going into drive/reverse before I pulled the trigger on a rebuild..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19