Transmission problems after altenator replacement???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremyhuskers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1999 Tahoe Lt 4x4 5.7 135,*** miles

My altenator was slowly giving out and charging less and less over a course of a few months. I finally went into Napa and bought a new altenator. All they had in stock was a 140 amp for the external fan type and a 105 for the internal fan. My tahoe is a 105 amp external fan and I didnt know if the internal fan style would fit the same. Anyways got it in did an oil change while I was at it and took it on a test drive. Now when I get on the gas and it goes to shift, it'll hum loud and take a few seconds to shift then slam pretty hard. Does fine driving normal even took it on the interstate for 300 miles because I had to and no problems. Any ideas, could it be linked to the higher amp altenator? Or did it just so happen that I replaced one thing and another is going bad? Anything ideas?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 was doing something similar a while back. replaced the tps with a cheap junk and it fixed it for 2 months or so. i went back out and got an acdelco one and the problem all but completely went away. i ordered a replacement tps wired plug and cut the old plug off the harness and spliced back on the wires as far as the new wires on the new plug. i think that was like 6 months or more since and the problem hasnt come back at all. if you continue to drive it like with mine i eventually got a code that would pop up on occasion and clear itself during one of the next couple drive cycles. well assuming its a similar problem as mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu