transmission maintenance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change my transmission filter and fluid for the first time.
I am reading on how to do it and the Haynes manual specifies to remove the center trans mount then jack the trans up and then place a wood block between the mount and cross member.
Is it really necessary to do ALL of that? I mean, the trans pan is right there with nothing in its way, seems so much easier to skip all that and just remove the pan, drain, and replace the filter. Am I missig anything??

Any advice welcomed..... Hints tips?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do the flush technique listed here, it will drain the pan for you.
mess free filter change.

Before I did my flush, I thought my fluid was ok, based on dipstick color and smell. WRONG!

get aprox 2 gallons of used trans fluid in a bucket and take a second look!
It smelled so bad I had to cover it to not get sick.
Color? Brown, not red.

It takes min 12 quarts to do 3 flush and 1 fill.
Be advised to get 16 quarts and do 4 flush and 1 fill..

OP
OP
yukonaetahoe

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the flush technique listed here, it will drain the pan for you.
mess free filter change.

Before I did my flush, I thought my fluid was ok, based on dipstick color
Color? Brown, not red.

It takes min 12 quarts to do 3 flush and 1 fill.
Be advised to get 16 quarts and do 4 flush and 1 fill..

Happen to know where this is listed or the title its posted under? I searched for transmission flush and nothing.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know also. I think its definitely time to change the tranny fluid in my hoe

HankHill

Reaction score
I did a fluid exchange on mine when I purchased it last spring. It had 158K on the odo, and I have no reason to believe the fluid was anything but original.

Dropped the pan & replaced the filter. Then I undid the top cooler line to the rad. Bought a plastic barbed & threaded fitting. Half-assed screwed the fitting into the rad & clamped on a length of clear tubing over the barbed end. Ran the hose into a bucket.

With 11 qts. of fresh Dex VI staged, I ran the truck for a few seconds and pumped out a quart or two of old fluid. Shut it down & filled back through the fill tube the fresh fluid. Repeated this several times until the new fluid appeared in the tubing. Disconnected the setup & reattached the cooler line.

The truck in running great with the new Dex VI. YMMV.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny I was just gonna come and make a tranny thread ... I put one of those deep sump AL Summit pans in mine and I was going over my logs from the races and the trans temp is WAY lower, engine temp is 200+ tranny temp is 170s .. used to only be about 10 degrees, 20-30 degrees now. I STRONGLY recommend this to you all that want your tranny to last.

OP
OP
yukonaetahoe

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question wasn't answered. I guess ill just remove the pan with out following the Haynes maintenance manual which does it differently. Thanks anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia