Transmission Lost 2nd and reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig is a 1998 2 door with the push button 4wd. In April of 2012, I had a Level II PATC transmission installed. The 4L60e was installed by a shop here in my hometown. I tow a 3500 to 4000 pound boat about 10 times per year at 100 miles round trip. 3.5 years later and about 35,000 miles the transmission has serious problems. This morning on way to work, I give it pretty good gas to get through a light. In first, around 3K rpms, the tranny shifts, clunks and rpms go way up. Now reverse and 2nd are out while in drive and in the individual gear selector range. In drive or 3rd, the transmission will shift from 1st to 3rd at 3k rpms. This transmission has had the hard shift (1st to 2nd) intermittently since it was installed. Recently in the last couple months, there has been a slight shudder when shifting from 1st to 2nd, also intermittently. I checked the tranny fluid last month and it was perfect. I'll be pretty depressed if I only get 35K miles out of a premium $2500 transmission on a bone stock truck (except running 285 size tires) that doesn't get abused. Any thoughts? Thanks.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
hmm sound familiar except mine was a stock rebuild. if you lost 4th gear as well then the likelihood of a damaged sunshell is likely. also the hard shift 1-2 leads me to believe the p1870 fix was not implemented or fixed correctly. one other thought is that the 2-4 band or its servo circuit is broke. just some thoughts. can you pull any codes or can you scan proprietary data to see what the the solenoids and shift times are doing?

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Sunlit. I'm not sure about 4th gear working or not. I continued my three mile drive to work after the catastrophic 1-2 shift this morning and drove it back home this afternoon - all on slow neighborhood roads. I'll have to take it somewhere to get it scanned. The service engine light has been on for the last three weeks for random misfires on No. 6, which I was planning to trouble shoot this weekend. I may have more codes now. Will let you know when I find anything out. Not sure what to do with the truck at this point with an engine with 260k on the clock and an expensive 3 year old transmission on the verge of crapping out. Sucks...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
btw when mine went out there was some odd shifting and flaring. fluid was dark. was warming up in hotel lot going to get it changed when i heard a clunk something spun down and had no fluid pressure in the main line. suspected the converter or pump but was never able to tear it down and don't if i will get it back to do so. bought a used one installed for a grand. failed within hours. second used one is great. shifts correctly with out shocking itself. like it was factory new.

OP
OP
W

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I called the shop that built the transmission and talked with the builder. He seemed absolutely confident that the sunshell had failed. No reverse, second and fourth (not 100% about 4th but I think so). So, I'll pull the transfer case and tranny myself and bring it to a shop to get the sunshell replaced. Hopefully, that's the only major part needing replacement. Will keep ya'll posted on how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper