Transmission Flush Problems (need some advice)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am trying to flush the fluid in my transmission. I have a 1998 Tahoe with the 5.7. I followed the instructions on the thread here about flushing the transmission. I have installed the filter and pan. I put the same amount of fluid back that I took out and started the hoe. It would pump about a quart and then start pumping air again. I tried it several times with the same results. The fluid is just touching the dipstick.
Also, I don't know if this matters but now the dipstick appears to be not going all the way in. It stops about an inch short and then I have to push it down and lock it. If I don't lock it, it will push right back out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
From people ive known your not supposed to flush the trans. Ive known people that have had a good trans then flush and it slips and dies shortly after. Hope you get your problm fixed but i would take the oan out and fikter and put the dipstick in and see if the problem has to so with the filter or pan then go from there. Did the fikter breaj when taking out? Mught have a chunk in still and the fikter might have pushed in more

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the heck is a FIKTER ????

Flushing trans is not the best thing to do depending on the condition of the trans.

Running air through the pump is not a good thing.

OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. I put everything back together and decided to give it a try. Everything appears to be working great. No slipping and it shift great! I drove it hard just to see if I could make it slip and she drove like a champ.

The filter came out fine and I made sure to get all of the old seal out. (The seal was a pain in the a.. but it all came out) I believe I have the new filter in the exact same location as the old filter.

This truck has been well taken care of and I only have 110000 miles so I felt comfortable flushing out all the old fluid. I believe if it dies after a flush it was headed that way before the flush and it was on a matter of time anyway.

My question now is if it was pumping air wouldn't it slip? Also, what could cause the dipstick to pop up about an inch and have to be locked to stay in? Is that normal?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you just do a pan drop and filter change only at 100,000. the locking mechanism on dipstick might be broke but it is there to keep it in because of vibration or other design related reason. if it has a lock you need to use it. make sure to check and add fluid while engine is running and in park. chances are the air is bleeding some thru the internal air bleeds. there are a couple of them inside the tranny. if you are still drawing air after running thru all manual selections for at least 15 seconds each you may have a problem with that filter seal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sgt Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Sun. The bubbles stopped so I drove it enough to warm it up and topped off the fluid. I have never had this problem before the several times I did this in the past on multiple vehicles. As for the dipstick, I keep it locked in, but I don't remember it sticking up about an inch if it wasn't locked. I guess it was just that way and I didn't notice it. Once again thanks for the quick responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts