Transmission fluid leak - front of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OK, you did not post that much location detail the first time around. You made it sound like there were two line connections at the driver's side of the radiator, one at the top and one down low. The pic is not that clear and IMO, looks a lot like is all dark down there. Where does that line go to? Does it snake around there and go to a transmission cooler at the front? More lit up pics would also help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ya looks like radiator has crack. You can spray wd40 or something like that to help clean better then hose off let dry and maybe see more where fluid is coming from. Simple green is good cleaner and rinse with water.
I see what looks like could be a crack, that is partially covered in the pic by the orange circle, is that what you are talking about? If so, that would be up high, I think, and would be dry in that area according to OP. Hell, I don't know.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
OK, you did not post that much location detail the first time around. You made it sound like there were two line connections at the driver's side of the radiator, one at the top and one down low. The pic is not that clear and IMO, looks a lot like is all dark down there. Where does that line go to? Does it snake around there and go to a transmission cooler at the front? More lit up pics would also help.
Yeah, sorry. The first pic isn’t great. Here’s a few more. I traced the tube path. It’s easy to see in person but tough to get a pic of if that makes sense.

There are only 2 connections on the drivers side of the radiator (not counting the big coolant hose).

One goes into the top of the radiator. The second is just an in-line connection as the tube turns to go toward the transmission. The second connection is toward the bottom of the radiator but seems clean after running the truck.

Attachments

• 1121728A-D349-4C01-810C-185779D4632B.jpeg
    1121728A-D349-4C01-810C-185779D4632B.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 48F4C3C4-D531-4F72-8CCF-38AB293F1D73.jpeg
    48F4C3C4-D531-4F72-8CCF-38AB293F1D73.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 5
  • 6023CC51-25D1-41F3-B7BA-01BA444293A4.jpeg
    6023CC51-25D1-41F3-B7BA-01BA444293A4.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 4

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, I think this is gonna be easy to diagnose. Spray the whole wet area with "brake kleen" and wipe down as much as possible and then spray again and it will evaporate pretty quick. Start up and let idle and watch that area and see what happens.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
I see what looks like could be a crack, that is partially covered in the pic by the orange circle, is that what you are talking about? If so, that would be up high, I think, and would be dry in that area according to OP. Hell, I don't know.
I see what y’all are taking about. I need to get back to it in the daylight. The other pics I posted still aren’t great.

I can handle a radiator. Just don’t want to replace it only to find the problem still there.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
IMO, I think this is gonna be easy to diagnose. Spray the whole wet area with "brake kleen" and wipe down as much as possible and then spray again and it will evaporate pretty quick. Start up and let idle and watch that area and see what happens.
I’ll do that tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help so far.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
I don’t know guys…

Cleaned everything up. Ran the car for about 20 min looking everywhere. Lines look good. Connections look good. No seeping in that lower drivers side spot. The “crack” in that one pic is just the mold seam. Unless it’s cracked on the bottom I’m stumped.

I’m going to run it up to the shop that did the tranny work. They’re good people. I don’t mind paying a diagnostic fee to actually know what’s going on. Fingers crossed it’s simple. I don’t really need a costly repair bill right now.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know guys…

Cleaned everything up. Ran the car for about 20 min looking everywhere. Lines look good. Connections look good. No seeping in that lower drivers side spot. The “crack” in that one pic is just the mold seam. Unless it’s cracked on the bottom I’m stumped.

I’m going to run it up to the shop that did the tranny work. They’re good people. I don’t mind paying a diagnostic fee to actually know what’s going on. Fingers crossed it’s simple. I don’t really need a costly repair bill right now.
Yes, you probably need them to check fluid level in transmission if you leave covers off that you removed, they will, and you to keep eye out for some kind of leak. Kind of strange.

grbmds1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This Yukon might be the end of me...

2015 Yukon, 160K miles. Just had the transmission rebuilt about 10K miles ago. Noticed some fluid in the driveway...trans fluid, crap.

Removed the plastic skid plate and honestly there's fluid EVERYWHERE. I can't isolate where it's coming from. It looks to be concentrated on the drivers side of the radiator towards the bottom.

Trans lines look good, but again, fluid is everywhere. I need some direction here...

1. Is there a dedicated trans cooler or is it integrated into the radiator?
2. Radiator shot? That would suck but my antifreeze level is good and trans fluid doesn't appear contaminated.
3. Trans shop did something goofy? I can call them but don't want to get slapped with a crazy repair bill.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
My 2015 was leaking also so I took it in and it was the connector’s on the hoses that were deteriorated and leaking the fluid.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Yes, you probably need them to check fluid level in transmission if you leave covers off that you removed, they will, and you to keep eye out for some kind of leak. Kind of strange.
I’ve already added about 1/2 gallon which is awesome considering this transmission is less than 10K miles old.

We’ll see what they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14