Transmission fluid leak - front of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ses_yukon

Reaction score
This Yukon might be the end of me...

2015 Yukon, 160K miles. Just had the transmission rebuilt about 10K miles ago. Noticed some fluid in the driveway...trans fluid, crap.

Removed the plastic skid plate and honestly there's fluid EVERYWHERE. I can't isolate where it's coming from. It looks to be concentrated on the drivers side of the radiator towards the bottom.

Trans lines look good, but again, fluid is everywhere. I need some direction here...

1. Is there a dedicated trans cooler or is it integrated into the radiator?
2. Radiator shot? That would suck but my antifreeze level is good and trans fluid doesn't appear contaminated.
3. Trans shop did something goofy? I can call them but don't want to get slapped with a crazy repair bill.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Clean oil off wipe everything off start and determine where fluid is coming from.

So it looks like it’s weeping at the bottom drivers side corner of the radiator / cooler.

The connector you can see is good. No leaking from it.

Attachments

• E28880C7-DA0F-4D53-8C8B-585E34F2F5C2.jpeg
    E28880C7-DA0F-4D53-8C8B-585E34F2F5C2.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 17

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya looks like radiator has crack. You can spray wd40 or something like that to help clean better then hose off let dry and maybe see more where fluid is coming from. Simple green is good cleaner and rinse with water.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the line completely dry of fluid? (Wipe a clean white rag around it and see) If it's clean, get a mirror and flashlight and look at the connection point for reside. It's possible the o-ring got damaged on R&R possibly. If it's dry there, then put some dye in and use a black light to look for cracks in the plastic.

I would recommend using a good degreaser and light power wash before hand to make it as clean as possible. Or you can use a good electrical contact cleaner that devolves everything and leaves no reside. Blow dry with compressed air

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, need clean and completely dry and then let idle and look closely. The transmission work was done 10k miles ago, right? They would have flushed it and still never disconnected that line and besides, that was 10k miles ago. Doubt it is their fault. Could be a loose/fit problem at the radiator or radiator failure where the connector is.

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
Ya looks like radiator has crack. You can spray wd40 or something like that to help clean better then hose off let dry and maybe see more where fluid is coming from. Simple green is good cleaner and rinse with water.

Can you leak only ATF fluid from the radiator? My antifreeze reservoir level is good and not contaminated with ATF.

Seems like if one leaks the other would too?

OP
OP
ses_yukon

ses_yukon

Reaction score
That is why I am saying the connector/line connection area.
The passenger side of the radiator is clean and dry at all connections.

There’s only 1 line going to the drivers side. The connection at the top drivers side going into the radiator is clean and dry. The connection toward the bottom doesn’t go into the radiator. It’s an in line connection. I cleaned it off, ran the car, noticed more ATF pooling as pictured. But that line was clean with no leaks.

I’m confused why it’s only ATF and not coolant too. But can’t see how that 1 line on the drivers side is the issue when it’s not wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew