Transmission fluid leak after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
That's a steam line that should terminate visibly into a metal line that runs between the cylinder heads along the forward end of the engine valley pan.

What concerns me is their decision to forego the radiator's water-to-oil cooler in the transmission cooling circuit. I understand why they did it - getting it completely flushed of all of the metal particles from the failing transmission isn't always effective, but you need that cooler in the circuit anyway. I know this because I once tried to take mine out of the circuit and add a much larger external cooler. Bad move. I would wager that without that cooler in the circuit, your trans temps are routinely hitting 230+. The right way would have been to replace the radiator, and replace the factory external cooler as well as all of the lines.
I drove up from Key West to near Fort Lauderdale today… About 3 1/2 hours in the truck speeds from 45 to 85 miles an hour and I think the highest temp I saw was 171. Many times it was down just above or below 150. I’ll end up doing some hills as I work my way out of Florida. Hopefully it stays that cool.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove up from Key West to near Fort Lauderdale today… About 3 1/2 hours in the truck speeds from 45 to 85 miles an hour and I think the highest temp I saw was 171. Many times it was down just above or below 150. I’ll end up doing some hills as I work my way out of Florida. Hopefully it stays that cool.
That's terrific! That's exactly what you want to see, so that's good news.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
That's terrific! That's exactly what you want to see, so that's good news.
Hot check on the tranny fluid was showing at the top of cold on the dipstick so I added 1/4 Qof fluid. Will continue to check/add 1/4 Q until back in the full range.

No leaks from the tightened down worm clamps, but I do have the tension pack on order.

Last edited: