Transmission fluid leak after rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I crawled under to get a better look & snap a few photos. Found the fluid leak!
So, I estimate that repair at approximately 1/2 a$$ed. Worm drove hose clamps have no business being used on rubber transmission cooler lines. At the very least, those should be spring clamps that can maintain tension. Left alone, that connection will fail.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice with the pen. I'll do that today. I've been keeping an eye on it & it's actually slightly above the "full" mark. I'm starting to realize the sweet smell may actually be the tranny fluid.

Do you guys think it's normal that those old lines keep spitting fluid?
ya if your sniffer is good enough you could be smelling the trans fluid, I did too many drugs in my youth lol I think I ruined mine

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
So, I estimate that repair at approximately 1/2 a$$ed. Worm drove hose clamps have no business being used on rubber transmission cooler lines. At the very least, those should be spring clamps that can maintain tension. Left alone, that connection will fail.

I tightened everything down. I’m embarrassed for them at how many turns I got on the hose clamps

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tightened everything down. I’m embarrassed for them at how many turns I got on the hose clamps
I would replace that line they cut and get some quick connects and AN lines to the external cooler, this will eliminate any possible leaks in the future, I had worm clamps on mine and had the same issue
I bought 2 of these
and 2 of these to fit a true cool
and 2 of these (quick connect factory size), same as what is used on the radiator
and 2 of these

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
I would replace that line they cut and get some quick connects and AN lines to the external cooler, this will eliminate any possible leaks in the future, I had worm clamps on mine and had the same issue
I bought 2 of these
and 2 of these to fit a true cool
and 2 of these (quick connect factory size), same as what is used on the radiator
and 2 of these
Are you saying replace the lines that run back to the tranny?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying replace the lines that run back to the tranny?
In my opinion, the metal lines themselves are wise to keep. On my 2012, I also used brass nipples with rubber transmission fluid line hose and spring clamps like I linked above where I needed to reroute lines or make new connections. I have 20K of mostly towing miles on the new cooler setup now, and no leaks or seeps whatsoever. All lines and connections are dry as a bone.

Long story short, if your rig were mine, I would replace the radiator with an OEM unit to get clean cooler tanks on both ends, then run new cooler lines from the hard lines forward to plumb everything back like factory. Summit Racing has a full lineup of fittings. https://www.summitracing.com/search...-line-adapter-fittings/fitting-material/brass

What cooler did they install when they did the work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
In my opinion, the metal lines themselves are wise to keep. On my 2012, I also used brass nipples with rubber transmission fluid line hose and spring clamps like I linked above where I needed to reroute lines or make new connections. I have 20K of mostly towing miles on the new cooler setup now, and no leaks or seeps whatsoever. All lines and connections are dry as a bone.

Long story short, if your rig were mine, I would replace the radiator with an OEM unit to get clean cooler tanks on both ends, then run new cooler lines from the hard lines forward to plumb everything back like factory. Summit Racing has a full lineup of fittings. https://www.summitracing.com/search...-line-adapter-fittings/fitting-material/brass

What cooler did they install when they did the work?

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
The invoice doesn’t say, but I remember the owner of the shop saying they significantly upsized it.

I'm driving from Key West to Nashville over the next few days so I'll have a good amount of transmission temp data.

Attachments

• 2375C9E1-FD66-47B7-A8FE-26DDCA0CD8AE.jpeg
    2375C9E1-FD66-47B7-A8FE-26DDCA0CD8AE.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 516FEAF6-5319-4460-8D42-81A2308E9EF9.jpeg
    516FEAF6-5319-4460-8D42-81A2308E9EF9.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The invoice doesn’t say, but I remember the owner of the shop saying they significantly upsized it.

I'm driving from Key West to Nashville over the next few days so I'll have a good amount of transmission temp data.
pretty sure those plastic tabs can be removed they should only have been there to prevent damage in shipping