Transmission Dilemma...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
The gentleman that is going to rebuild it was telling me all of the same information. He plans to rebuild it with all upgraded parts like you mentioned. He has done many of these over the years so I'm glad he is able to do it. The name of his place is Guardian Transmission in Graham, NC. Small one man shop, but specializes in the 4L60E.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I learned when replacing the transmission in my 05 Yukon, make sure you don't get a "stock" rebuild. The OE parts in the stock 4L60E are really inferior. Just like the TC Pump Rub issue. The upgraded Sun Shell as well as the Regulator Valve, Aluminum Accumulator Pistons and a better extra plate clutch pack to mention a few. Lastly, look into maybe a better/bigger cooler too.
also .....Corvette servo, kevlar 2-4 band, always aluminum pistons with molded seals and just like you leaded up to....NEVER EVER stick an OEM sunshell back in a 4L60E!

Build it with all the updates Yukon mentioned and the ones I listed with all valve body updates performed the tranny will last way longer than the stock one. And you dont even have to baby it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
So the guy I had scheduled to rebuild my transmission can't do it for almost 4 weeks due to his parts washer going down and him ordering another one. Anyone know of a reliable transmission builder around the Raleigh NC area? I have to get this thing back on the road for work and I can't wait 4 weeks....

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the guy I had scheduled to rebuild my transmission can't do it for almost 4 weeks due to his parts washer going down and him ordering another one. Anyone know of a reliable transmission builder around the Raleigh NC area? I have to get this thing back on the road for work and I can't wait 4 weeks....
Does the job require a fancy parts washer? A wash tub full of degreaser and a brush would work to stay in business. I would think... Maybe a little wash-down pump and a hose, if you want to go all fancy-like...

OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I agree. I'm not sure he really wants to do it. I'm doing some searches right now and found Cottman Transmission in Raleigh. They have a really good rating and he was the first one that actually talked to me about my issue. He is saying around $2400 to rebuild it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not sure he really wants to do it. I'm doing some searches right now and found Cottman Transmission in Raleigh. They have a really good rating and he was the first one that actually talked to me about my issue. He is saying around $2400 to rebuild it.
$2400 to rebuild transmission? That includes remove and replace and fluid and flush cooler and lines? What kind of warranty?

The other guy is saying the his parts washer is down? Business shut down till gets the parts washer and closing the doors till then or what is he doing?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A reman. unit from JEGS is under $2k delivered with a warranty and doesn't mention any added core charge, sou you could sell the old one for someone else to rebuild.
Not sure I would have that kind of money myself, but it is an option.

You were looking to get back on the road quick... Find a reputable installer and have them find one from lower milage salvage parts.
Short warranty, but definitely a cheaper option.

Probably what I would do.

OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
Yeah, he's a small business and has a new parts washer on the way. I spoke to him again today and he is going to end up doing it in two weeks. I had thought about the JEGS but I think I would feel better with a rebuild and knowing that is done correctly which I know this guy will do. Plus he has a 2 year 24K warranty on his work. All in it will be right under $2K which is fair. He is going to do all of the mods and upgrades you guys mentioned as well so that makes me feel much better about it.

OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
Well, after all this time, I finally got my Tahoe back from the transmission guy. He rebuilt the transmission and upgraded many of the components you guys listed out for me. Here comes the crazy part, I was driving for work today and got up to 80 mph on the interstate, looked behind me and there was a trail of smoke. Same issue is still happening! UGH!!! So back in it goes this Friday. As I'm thinking through it, none of the problems started until he replaced the rear half of the transfer case with a new one. Once he did that, it has been pushing transmission fluid out of the seals once I get over 70 mph. I'm at a loss...

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a seal between the transfer case and the transmission that requires a special tool to install. We went through something similar on my daughter's '03 Sierra Denali. Do you have any fluid leaks on the pavement, or just the smoke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick