Transmission Delayed Engagement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

w102acd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All,

I have a 2012 Tahoe LTZ with 185k on it. We drove it four hours to vacation and the transmission seemed a little unhappy (shifting strange at highway speeds). Once we got to vacation, it is having delayed engagement in drive and reverse. Not sure if it’s a hot only thing or not, but started it this morning and it seemed fine going into reverse and drive just to get it to level ground to check the fluid.

Checked the fluid. Level seems good, but it seems darker than I remember it being. Doesn’t smell burnt, but more brown than pink in color.

We have one more day of vacation. I need to tow a boat a few miles and then drive home. It doesn’t seem that bad…yet. At highway speeds, it’s hardly noticeable.

At this second, I’m planning to do the boat thing today and then drive 250 miles home (mostly highway miles). Planning on dropping it off at a shop as soon as we get home (fingers crossed we make it).

Is this a really bad idea? My hands are kind of stuck in that we need to head home tomorrow and have limited tools at our camper and today is the 4th.

Is there something I can do while on vacation to increase my likelihood of making it home preferably without a trashed tranny? Could probably find a long length of small hose and suck out a quart (or how ever much I can get) of tranny fluid and replace it, if y’all think that’s worth it. Probably not an option today, but could do it first thing in the morning (after a few miles towing the boat, but before the 250 mile drive home).

Original tranny as far as I know and we’ve put 100k on it without really doing anything with the tranny. I know I’m well overdue to drop the pan. Life happens!

Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
W

w102acd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If delayed engagement is not the correct term. On several occasions yesterday in drive and reverse, it seems like it engaged normally in idle. Once you start to try to go, there is a delay in it actually grabbing/engaging. Feels like clutch slipping and then grabbing once the RPMs are high enough.

Currently no codes and no CEL.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If delayed engagement is not the correct term. On several occasions yesterday in drive and reverse, it seems like it engaged normally in idle. Once you start to try to go, there is a delay in it actually grabbing/engaging. Feels like clutch slipping and then grabbing once the RPMs are high enough.

Currently no codes and no CEL.
Assuming you have a six speed, your 1-2-3-4 piston and 3-5-R drum are both likely cracked/leaking, two of the most common problems with these transmissions.

See my 6L80E Thread for more info but if that's what's happening, the transmission will need to come out for overhaul. I'd reinforce the welds on your existing 3-5-R drum (unless there's something else wrong with it) and install the Sonnax 1-2-3-4 billet aluminum piston.

The most common DTC code associated with these failures is P0776 (gear ratio error code / Solenoid performance)

OP
OP
W

w102acd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

I figured it would be something like this. What would you do in my situation? Is this a “you’ll be lucky to make it out of the parking lot” or “should have no trouble limping it home”?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

I figured it would be something like this. What would you do in my situation? Is this a “you’ll be lucky to make it out of the parking lot” or “should have no trouble limping it home”?
You're welcome. That's a judgement call you'll have to make as it's impossible to predict exactly when the thing will totally fail but if your 1-2-3-4 piston is cracked, you'll eventually lose all forward movement period.

So whatever you decide to do, keep that in mind and prepare for any eventualites.

Sorry to hear, worst possible time for this to play out.

OP
OP
W

w102acd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably try to make it home then.

Would replacing some of the fluid increase my chances? I could probably change some fluid or even drop the pan if that would help. Clearly less desirable using my last day on vacation to drop the pan especially if it’s not really going to help.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would replacing some of the fluid increase my chances? I could probably change some fluid or even drop the pan if that would help. Clearly less desirable using my last day on vacation to drop the pan especially if it’s not really going to help.
It would not likely make a difference in that respect but would maybe clean some of the crud accumulated in the valve body-TECHM complex and enable you to get a look at what's in the pan but that's about it. If you do decide to drop the pan, perhaps check the filter for any cracks as this can also produce your symptoms and is an easy fix.

Also please quote my post or mention me (@NickTransmissions) so I know you have replied; otherwise, it may take me a while to get back to you. I just happened to scan this sub-forum again and noticed you had replied to it.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you have the means to drop the pan and swap filter, and extra 6 fresh quarts aren’t going to hurt it. As @NickTransmissions said it could be a cracked filter. At worst you see what’s in the pan and get you down the road with some cleaner fluid.

OP
OP
W

w102acd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Missed the last reply and decided to enjoy another day on the water :).

Managed to trailer the boat a few miles to and from the water. And…make the 250 mile trip home without a problem.

Truck is at dealer now and they are looking at it. My mistake was sending my wife. She has her eye on a newer Tahoe while she’s waiting. Once that ball gets rolling, there is little that can stop it. Will let you know how it all plays out.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Missed the last reply and decided to enjoy another day on the water :).

Managed to trailer the boat a few miles to and from the water. And…make the 250 mile trip home without a problem.

Truck is at dealer now and they are looking at it. My mistake was sending my wife. She has her eye on a newer Tahoe while she’s waiting. Once that ball gets rolling, there is little that can stop it. Will let you know how it all plays out.
Glad you made it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19