Transmission cooler parts question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '08 5.3 does not have an auxiliary transmission cooler, only the lines running in and out of the radiator. Planning on plumbing in a Tru-Cool 4588 but I've got some questions on the lines.

First, do you know which line (top or bottom) is the return to the transmission?

For connecting from the radiator to the cooler, do I unscrew the 3/8 fitting and put a new barbed fitting on, or do I use a radiator adaptor that's supposed to press in where the hard line presses in using this Derale snap-in radiator adapter? How do you pull the factory hard line out?

For running from the cooler to the tranny, do I cut the rubber section and barb it in to the new rubber line or do I go rubber all the way to the transmission and remove the entire hard line? Do you know what size the rubber section is on the hard line (3/8, 11/16 etc)?

grebesbakery

Reaction score
I want to do this as well, dealer told me they could add the factory one for 250.00 installed. BUT if anyone has done this on there own, input would be great!

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Mgyver1, since you're doing an aftermarket trans cooler, those forums look to be correct. I think they are okay to use.

grebesbakery, I've done it. It is a fairly easy driveway job. If you study the instructions before hand, and know what you're doing, it should take about 2 hours to do it all.

The bottom line on the trans and radiator stays and will not be changed. The upper line will be removed. There is a small metal clip holding the metal line into the adapter on both the radiator and the transmission. You need to remove the clip to remove the line. Don't lose it. As soon as the line is out put the clip back in. The most troublesome part about removing the upper line and installing the new one is snaking the factory upper line out past the engine and snaking the new line in. I was able to accomplish this by turning it clockwise and counterclockwise. This is best accomplished by removing the bumper cover, which you need to do in order to install the cooler anyways. The new line that comes with the kit goes from the upper quick connect fitting on the radiator to the auxilary trans cooler. The other connection on the trans cooler is for the new upper line on the trans. When you remove the original upper trans line you will have a little bit of fluid spill out. It's not much, just enough to fill the line. But be prepared.

I recommend this mod to anybody and everybody with these trucks. I've seen a 30° drop in temps with just everyday driving. Her worth is going to be proven in about a month when I tow my wife's car from Virginia to Illinois, the turn around and head out to Utah on a vacation.

Btw, if you're thinking about doing an engine oil cooler install, I recommend putting off the trans cooler job until you have all the parts for both. Engine oil cooler conversion requires a different radiator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EOC is going to be a 5x11 cooler similar to the tranny cooler (just smaller and with 1/2" fittings). Also I will be taking the EOC adapter hose to a hydraulic hose shop to have it modified with longer hose to accommodate my cooler.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I just did an engine oil cooler too. GM made it simple for our trucks. All I did was swap the radiator for one made for the police Tahoe (rpo code PPV and SSV) and install the cooler lines, also available from GM. It's even easier than the GM Accessories auxiliary trans cooler I mentioned before. To snake the metal lines into position all I had to do was remove the 4 bolts for the sway bay bushings and 4 bolts for the front differential. You don't need to remove them. Just let them hang. The block off plate you need to remove is right above the oil filter. Also, GMs way requires a bolt that mounts the lines near the front of the block. That bolt is separate. The bracket comes with the lines. The lines also come with the gasket and 2 mounting bolts. There also appears to be a location on the radiator fan shroud for a retaining clip for the lines. It's the only piece I don't have and I'm currently searching for.

Last edited:

grebesbakery

Reaction score
When adding a trans cooler, do you need to add more trans fluid???

Also when buying this factory trans cooler, is it a kit and does it come with instructions on the install?

OP
OP
M

Mgyver1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update to this, I ended up doing the install a while ago but never got around to posting anything about it.

For the transmission supply I ended up cutting the upper rubber hose and splicing in a double barbed fitting. For the oil cooler I ordered the following parts:

11515755 Engine oil cooler hose bracket bolt
20828695 Engine oil cooler hose
TruCool B7B oil cooler 2.75"T x 11"W x 1.5"D & 1/2" fittings

I also ordered the gasket for the cooler but it turns out the cooler adapter comes with it.

For the transmission I ordered a TruCool 4588 5.75"T x 11"T x 1.5"D with 3/8" fittings. It is much larger than the factory cooler but has a built in thermal bypass so it won't over cool. If you live somewhere that gets cold then they recommend the external thermal bypass. Here's a pic of the coolers installed:

Finished1.jpg

With the Vegas summers going well over 110 for most of the summer, my transmission would hit 218 just idling. Now I have to work it to hit 180 so I am much happier now.

Last edited:

Nick161024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Upgrade 2014 Tahoe radiator to a PPV or SSV

Domin8, I read that you upgraded your tahoe radiator to the ssv or ppv. Do you have the part #'s for the parts that you used or know how I can get them so that I can upgrade my tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe