Transmission Cold Weather Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following is in regards to a 2000 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4X4 @ 173,000 miles.

I've notived now that the weather is cooler, between 0 and 30°F the tranny tends to stay in a lower gear until it warms up for a few miles before it will shift into 3rd or OD, depending on speed being traveled. Is this something normal (safety feature / setting) or am I experiancing some form of transmission failure? The fluid looks good, not dark /burnt adn smells like new.

I should state that this is nothing new, as it has done it since we bought it a couple years go @ 145,000 miles.

I once heard that Dodge Trucks had a safety feature like this and wondered if this was a feature or a failure. I've had many GM Pick-ups (1996, 1999, 2004), but this was our first Tahoe.... non of the pick-ups did this they all shifted straight through, didn't depend on temperature.

Thanks,

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a problem. All my automatics seem to do that as well when it's really cold out.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon&Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OKay, just wanted to check.... as my pickups never seemed to do this and the 2007 has the 6 speed tranny so no comparison there. Maybe they are programmed different, and maybe that's why a Tahoe driveline seems to last longer than a pickups of near same components!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401