Transfer case whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zmusclow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe and the transfer case whines while in 2high, it gets quieter while under a load and goes away when shifted into 4high. Seems like the chain could be stretching and whining while not under a load. I am capable of rebuilding the transfer case myself, but there are so many rebuild kits that very in parts and price. Please give me your insight! Thank you

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’d call precision transmission in Texas and see if they will sell you what they use. They have a popular YouTube channel and are well respected.

Rebuild kits are not very costly but there’s so much chyna crap floating around in the marketplace it’s hard to know what is safe to buy these days.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe and the transfer case whines while in 2high, it gets quieter while under a load and goes away when shifted into 4high. Seems like the chain could be stretching and whining while not under a load. I am capable of rebuilding the transfer case myself, but there are so many rebuild kits that very in parts and price. Please give me your insight! Thank you
What is the transfer case ID? NPxxx?

Have you ever changed the fluid in it?

Does yours have the Auto4wd button? That adds to the complexity of the internals.

Many times the oil pump pick up tube gets clogged with silicone or debris causing issues, but you can't know without opening it up or a get lighted borescope.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlikely the chain is whining. More likely its a bearing whining. You checked the fluid level in the case? Have a small pinhole on passenger side of Tcase half way up just forward of output shaft? (The pump did it).

OP
OP
Z

zmusclow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the transfer case ID? NPxxx?

Have you ever changed the fluid in it?

Does yours have the Auto4wd button? That adds to the complexity of the internals.

Many times the oil pump pick up tube gets clogged with silicone or debris causing issues, but you can't know without opening it up or a get lighted borescope.

I will have to look for the model number on the transfer case. It does have the auto 4wd button though.

OP
OP
Z

zmusclow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unlikely the chain is whining. More likely its a bearing whining. You checked the fluid level in the case? Have a small pinhole on passenger side of Tcase half way up just forward of output shaft? (The pump did it).
I bought this Tahoe as a mess. Rebuilt rear end and got rid of that whine, then replaced front end to get rid of that whine. I changed the T-case fluid when I bought the truck and haven’t seen any leaks at all.

OP
OP
Z

zmusclow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Afterthought- be leery of noises in the driveline, they can telegraph through the shafts and appear in places other than where they originated.
I agree! The only reason I believe it to be the T-Case is because the noise goes away while I’m 4wd and resumes after back in 2wd

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You probably have the NP246 TC and, if so, hopefully the fluid you used was the Auto Trac II blue fluid.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this Tahoe as a mess. Rebuilt rear end and got rid of that whine, then replaced front end to get rid of that whine. I changed the T-case fluid when I bought the truck and haven’t seen any leaks at all.
When you changed the Tcase fluid how much did you get out of it? Did you check its level before draining it to make sure it hadnt been ran low? It is quite possible that you have a bearing inside the Tcase on its way out. If you plan on keeping the Tahoe around I would just drop the Tcase and do a quick rebuild. They are stupid easy to rebuild. Theres tons of videos on youtube. My 03's have the NP246E model Tcase with the Autotrac (Auto 4wd) which means theres some clutches in the Tcase. Rebuild kits expect to pay around $350 or less if I remember correctly for standard rebuild parts (Seals and Bearing kit, Chain, Clutches if you have the Auto 4wd, fluid, Internal/External snapring pliers with long reach). But the pump rub fix plate for around $25. If yours is already rubbed through and many are then expect to buy a replacement rear half case. Inspect for the rub hole in yours. Tons of youtube videos on this also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645