Transfer case or front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I put in new cv axels thinking it would cure the strange noise I'm getting when 4wd is engaged and goosing the gas, sounds like gears skipping. I filled the diff fluid and now it's full so it's not that or the cv's. The diff has some play in it, check the vid and see if that is normal play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle shaft play looks about right. The stub shafts are held in with C clips so there'll be some end play. The front diff looks a bit suspect though. I'd have to look up the spec for backlash but on the 10 bolt I just rebuilt it was 0.005-0.009". You have a lot more than that.

Skipping when goosing the gas sounds more like a stretched T-case chain. Did your 246 ever run low on fluid?

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle shaft play looks about right. The stub shafts are held in with C clips so there'll be some end play. The front diff looks a bit suspect though. I'd have to look up the spec for backlash but on the 10 bolt I just rebuilt it was 0.005-0.009". You have a lot more than that.

Skipping when goosing the gas sounds more like a stretched T-case chain. Did your 246 ever run low on fluid?

Yea the amount of play going into the front diff doesn't look good to me either. There's not much play coming from the TC, it is a little low on fluid and it's dark brown, I thought it was supposed to be blue because of the auto trac fluid? My dad did mention the chain stretching but I don't think there's enough play there to say that's what it is, I could be wrong... Can you look up the specs or tell me where to look please?

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the play in the transfer case shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the backlash spec in the FSM. 0.003-0.010" permissible, 0.005-0.007" preferred. There's an odd note about dividing the b/l reading by 2 in order to get the actual reading. It's Pg 4-89 (not exactly sure how to post a .pdf).

Early 246 t-cases used regular Dex III. Autotrac fluid came along a big later ('03?). Somewhat low and dark brown isn't a good sign.

1998Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be threaded adjusters but the stub axles would need to be removed to reach them. I think, at this point, it's check & see if backlash is ok. If not u are working your way t a rebuild

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be threaded adjusters but the stub axles would need to be removed to reach them. I think, at this point, it's check & see if backlash is ok. If not u are working your way t a rebuild

Right after you posted the one pic I googled adjustment on the diff and found that very same thing, that's a really good how to, too bad I can't adjust without pulling those stub axels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msp2640