Transfer case motor issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans fluid color and smell were normal. Drag racing? Not since I got. Tow alot? Its a mileage rig, and I got it 5 months ago. I do know a single mom with a bunch of kids owned it the past 2 years.

Trans is indeed toast. Pulled the pan. View attachment 231453
If you look close you can see a few needle bearings in the bottom of the pan I only had one. Owner of a transmission shop I went to said the rest of them are all stuck inside the Valve Body.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to get a helper for the day, and finally got the trans back in. So far so good. Hope to get it off the jack stands in the morning, after a last minute piece i needed had to be ordered from the dealership. Hope it arrives in the AM. I somehow lost one u-joint and retainer strap. I think it fell out in the parking lot when we had to push the truck out in order to get a boat out from the back of the shop. Didnt realise it till putting in the rear drive shaft, which was the last thing to go on.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to wrap up this project finally. Got the last minute parts I needed yesterday and got the rig back on the road. Got about 10 miles on it so far, and so far, good. No passive or active engine oil leaks. Oil pressure is now showing correct and trans feels good.

I sourced my reman from Atransmissions.com. They were not the cheapest and not the most expensive. For my application, there was not a core charge. So I did not have to mess with getting it ready to ship back, and then wait for credit back to my card. Just had to be patient for it to get built and shipped. Took about 12 days from time of order, to arrive. Not a huge deal, as im in my slow time of year and have other wheels to get around.

I will likely gut the unit and separate the steel from the aluminum and haul to the scrap yard for its weight.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to tearing the old trans down for scrap. Carrier and internal gear exploded. There is visible wear on the inside of the case where parts where rotating, that should not be.
IMG_20191119_134059966.jpg
IMG_20191119_134134010.jpg
IMG_20191119_134149252.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz