Transfer case motor issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which TC do you have? There's an RPO code for it in the glovebox, should be something like NPx.

And yes, the TC motors get weak. I had one on my '04 that would appear to switch to 4wd but, in fact, it was in AUTO. Only the Tech 2 would show the correct selection. Bad grounds can also affect how the front diff engages, if you have the AUTO NP8.
Mine is a NP-246

Last edited:

dougo

Reaction score
sounds like a failing transfer case encoder , The encoder tells the body computer what position the transfer case is in 2 HI 4 Hi or 4 Low if it sends the computer the wrong info, the computer will try to move it typically while you driving , I though my drive shaft fell out , it should have displayed a fault, search encoder ring its inside the transfer case motor , I get about 50-60 k that reminds me its time to order another

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old trans is out and draining. While waiting on the new one to be built and ship, ive got an oil leak to chase down.

Looks like the original trans, but its certainly been out. Converter looked nearly new. Someone been hunting an issue, and I think they missed the mark by quite a bit :p

IMG_20191010_173045404.jpg

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New trans has not shipped, yet, but been addressing a few minor issues while the trans is out.

Oil change with the longer AC Delco PF61 filter.

New oil pressure sender and connector with pigtails. Easy with the trans out.

Rear main seal and rear main housing gasket in attempt to stop was seems to be mostly a passive oil leak. also replaced the oil cooler adapter gasket. Crankcase is filled back up, so ill watch it the next couple days and see if it still drips. if it does, it will likely need an oil pan gasket.

New trans mount ready to go back in with the new trans.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans delivered last Thursday, but busy schedules have prevented its installation.

Good news is, no static oil leaks!

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of work. I pulled the Transfer case thinking that was my issue it was not. put it back together so I can move the truck around. Will not pull the trans myself retiring the truck from service at 295.000

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
That's a lot of work. I pulled the Transfer case thinking that was my issue it was not. put it back together so I can move the truck around. Will not pull the trans myself retiring the truck from service at 295.000

Boooo! How's the rest of the truck? Why not replace the trans?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans delivered last Thursday, but busy schedules have prevented its installation.

Good news is, no static oil leaks!
Your drain pan grenade looks like the sprag locked up and come apart and while doing that it took some of the inner side of the case with it. Thats what all those aluminum pieces are. There is no other aluminum parts inside the tranny. The hard parts are all steel. That case is destroyed and unusable as a core. But dont let anyone lie to you, some of your hard parts still have some value. Dont be suprised if your builder doesnt credit you back your core fee if you had one.

OP
OP
Wylie_Tahoe

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your drain pan grenade looks like the sprag locked up and come apart and while doing that it took some of the inner side of the case with it. Thats what all those aluminum pieces are. There is no other aluminum parts inside the tranny. The hard parts are all steel. That case is destroyed and unusable as a core. But dont let anyone lie to you, some of your hard parts still have some value. Dont be suprised if your builder doesnt credit you back your core fee if you had one.
For that reason, I actually sourced a reman that did not need a core return. So this old unit will get hauled to the scrap yard for its weight.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boooo! How's the rest of the truck? Why not replace the trans?
It was a tough call. Rear Diff needs a rebuild as well as other things didn't want to pour cash into a high mile truck with 295k. Bought a yukon same year and color RWD from Texas with half the miles on it.