Trans Issue - 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my 17 (88k) on the freeway the other day and it start a slight whine and slightly slipping. When to get off the exit and it popped into neutral. I dropped it into L1 and it engaged. I then moved it back to Drive and it was fine. I was driving in auto as its winter here. I pulled over into a parking lot turned it back to 2wd and it ran fine. The fluid/filter was changed about 3-4k ago.

I currently have it in the trans shop and they can't get it to replicate. They are thinking its the start of the end of the torque converter. They are going to drop the pan to see if there is metal, etc.

I was wondering if it turns out the converter is toast or the trans need rebuilt, is there recommendations for superior aftermarket replacement parts vs OEM.

My driving habits are pretty vanilla, around town but I do pull a fishing boat around the Midwest.
Thanks for any feedback.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my 17 (88k) on the freeway the other day and it start a slight whine and slightly slipping. When to get off the exit and it popped into neutral. I dropped it into L1 and it engaged. I then moved it back to Drive and it was fine. I was driving in auto as its winter here. I pulled over into a parking lot turned it back to 2wd and it ran fine. The fluid/filter was changed about 3-4k ago.

I currently have it in the trans shop and they can't get it to replicate. They are thinking its the start of the end of the torque converter. They are going to drop the pan to see if there is metal, etc.

I was wondering if it turns out the converter is toast or the trans need rebuilt, is there recommendations for superior aftermarket replacement parts vs OEM.

My driving habits are pretty vanilla, around town but I do pull a fishing boat around the Midwest.
Thanks for any feedback.
Check out Sonnax's website for the updates to the 6L80 that make it better. Drop the temp on your transmission, it's called "Flipping the pill" or using the new lower thermostat that GM recently released.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @swathdiver, I really appreciate the information. I will do some research on the Sonnax site. Currently waiting on the trans shop to get back to me on status.

I'll update on what they find and next steps for others - just in case someone might find useful.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - I heard back from the trans shop and they have driven it several times and couldn't get the problem to happen. However, they dropped the pan and there were metal particles. Going to have them go ahead and rebuild as it is jsut a matter of time. They are going to replace torque converter with a Billet converter, sonnax rebuild parts and replace the thermostat with the upgraded version. The estimated cost is $5,200, seems pricey but at this point I don't want to have to wonder about the trans.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - I heard back from the trans shop and they have driven it several times and couldn't get the problem to happen. However, they dropped the pan and there were metal particles. Going to have them go ahead and rebuild as it is jsut a matter of time. They are going to replace torque converter with a Billet converter, sonnax rebuild parts and replace the thermostat with the upgraded version. The estimated cost is $5,200, seems pricey but at this point I don't want to have to wonder about the trans.
If they replace the necessary parts with quality items it's money well spent.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5200 dollar price is exactly what my GMC dealer charges. Mine came with a 3 year-100K mile warranty. My transmission starting acting up at exactly 120K miles.

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miami - thanks for the feedback. The actual price came in at $5,320. The warranty wasn't as good as you received, it's 2 year 24k. Did the dealer replace with OEM parts?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami - thanks for the feedback. The actual price came in at $5,320. The warranty wasn't as good as you received, it's 2 year 24k. Did the dealer replace with OEM parts?
Yes

What trans shop did you take it to out of curiosity? Is this the same place who changed your transmission fluid 3-4K miles ago?

The GMC dealer told me to have the fluid changed out at 50K miles. They said it not necessary to change it out earlier then that.

Before my transmission went belly up I had the fluid changed out every 40K miles by the dealer. Seems doing that was a complete waste. But yes I will have the fluid changed at 50K miles [if not before] by the dealership only.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans