Tranny trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At high 3500-4K rpm my truck feels like it’s hitting the rev limiter. RPMs bounce, truck shudders If I punch it at 40-ish it downshifts then jumps around on the tach.
I can hold 5k rpm fine in Park no issues or odd sounds.
Torque converter? Catalytic converters? Any troubleshooting ideas?
Fluid level is good now and smells/looks OK. Not new but clear with no burnt smell. Drives fine until I hit it hard.

I had some issues previously and was low on fluid. No puddles under car and nothing around the transfer case.

Not 100% on dropping the pan and replacing filter at this point.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by you “had some issues previously and was low on fluid” ? Also what do you mean by “ not 100% on dropping the pan and replacing the filter at this point” ? It doesn’t take much to damage a trans if it’s low on fluid, and dropping the pan to see what’s in the filter is a pretty cheap diagnosis that I recommend sooner than later.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like Mark is saying. You have to have a base of known time frames and services done and what you are currently experiencing. Basics are fluid level, what happened before, last filter service, been adding fluid?, condition of fluid. Assuming a torque converter or maybe even valve body or cat converter problems, is just that, assumptions. Get a base of what is known and go from there. We used to call that "systems based diagnostics" and for each symptom there were obvious first steps for tracking down the problem. That is why I love to check TSB's first. The diagnostic track has already been done for you by other techs. They would help you save time. Might want to join http://www.alldatadiy.com/ and for a full year for $29.95 you can search to your heart's content for many many write ups that help you and your rig.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocket Man
The previous issue was an occasional hard and/or laggy 2-3 shift. Hot and cold both did it.
ETA: By hard shift I mean “Huh, that felt a little off” not “HOLY $@%# WE ALL GONNA DIE”.
No grinding, always moved in gear and up/down shift good the vast majority of the time.

This started right at New Year’s a couple days after I used 4WD out in a field. No mudding , just didn’t want to get stuck. Maybe coincidence, I use 4W-H twice a year so it stuck out.

Added 1 quart, both bubbles happy on the dipstick (hot fluid, level surface) and most issues went away. @PNW VietVet no idea on last service, I’ve had the truck 1 year and 16k miles.

The high RPM issue was intermittent before (maybe once or twice ever), now constant. I can get it to a reputable shop today for filter and fluid change and hope they will let peek at the pan.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, a good debris check in the pan is a great start. Maybe the filter has dropped and fluid pick up is effected.

Last edited:
OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the fluid and filter changed. There was ALOT of clutch material, likely all original filter and gasket.

The sales guy didn’t even come at me with addon services, they weren’t sure it would even drive.

Drives pretty well but not perfect. 2-3 seems decent at over 4K rpm, 3-4 is better but not quite right at high rpm.

I’m gonna wait another 1500 miles before I do anything to it and see if it survives. And no more drag racing on I-10 for my Hoe :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645