tranny or noti

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjstreet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a two part question my 96 Tahoe is making a kind of a grinding sound from the middle of my truck. My mechaniac said it sound like the tranny but it shift to good to me and ur only does in first gear. Now if it is my trans I found one on Craigslist for 300 I want to buy it and rebuild and slap it in there. I know the bolt pattern is different for different years could anybody point me in the right direction of what bolt pattern I need. Oh and also make that sound in reverse. Sorry more of a whining then grind.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
does this apply to you?

Problem: Transmission seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the Transmission goes into 3rd gear.

Cause: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either.

Solution: Remove & replace or rebuild sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
C

cjstreet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks sunlit, Do you have any info on the type of transmission that goes in my 96 Tahoe 4 x 4 because I found one on Craigslist but not sure of what bolt pattern that goes in in mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700