Trailer Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarr343

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just traded my 11 F150 for a 12 Yukon SLT 4x4 with towing package. I currently have a 16' tandem car hauler trailer with a max GVWR of 10,400 lbs. I know the trailer itself weighs in at about 3,000 lbs and most of the time I only tow a couple ATV and an occasional dump run. I plan to use a trailer a bit more in the future as a truck bed substitute. It sounds a lot easier to sell the car hauler and get a lighter single axle utility trailer, but is that really a good idea? The car hauler felt heavy behind my F150, even unloaded, how will it be behind the Yukon?

Option 1:
Keep current trailer and purchase a brake controller and possibly air bags.

Option 2:
Sell trailer and buy a single axle 12' utility trailer w/o brakes.

Option 3:
Sell trailer and buy a lighter duty tandem utility trailer and brake controller

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is going to feel just as "heavy" if not a bit heavier behing the Yukon. One thing I don't get is if your trailer has brakes on it already why you do not have a brake controller yet? Even empty that thing must have pushed your truck when trying to stop. You will definetly want to get airbags on the Yukon, even if you have autoride since it wasn't really designed to level the truck under a heavy load.

HOE-N-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would sell the car hauler and get a utility trailer, probably a tandem axle. Why tow around a much heavier trailer then you need? It will also be easier on your truck and use less gas. You can probably sell the auto hauler for as much or more than a utility trailer especially if you buy used. You probably don't need airbags but I would get a trailer with brakes and get a controller.

If you do have autoride (optional on SLT) you don't need airbags. The autoride IS designed to level the truck under heavy load. I have a tandem axle boat trailer and autoride on my Tahoe LTZ and as soon as I drop the tongue on the hitch and start the truck you can hear the compressor come on and watch the rear end rise.

Last edited:

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get rid of that trailer! I have a tandem that weighs in at 1680lb which I loaded 4 full size atv's on and my Yukon towed it flawlessly!

OP
OP
J

jcarr343

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just traded the car hauler. Now I need to decide on single or dual axle.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just traded the car hauler. Now I need to decide on single or dual axle.

It all depends on what you are going to be using it for. IMO dual axle is better! Its much quieter when trailering it when empty and tracks much better when its loaded. If your buying used the prices are nearly identical! Check out Clist you cannot go wrong...

strokinpower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a tandem axle 16' landscaping trailer. That's what I use and can put 4 quads on it sideways.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The law in many states requires trailer brakes when over 3000 lbs. Towing 4000 or 5000 lbs with no brakes is a recipe for disaster. And if you're involved in an accident your insurance claim could be denied for illegally towing. Each state is different so double check. Here in Illinois the law says anything over 3000 lbs that will be driven more than 20 mph requires functioning brakes on at least one axle. California has the same requirement.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts