Trail fix tool kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry tools on the trail. My truck is a 2001 Z71 Tahoe. I was thinking though. I probably don't need a complete set of sockets. I think all most of the engine and things I could trail fix use:

8mm - battery cable
10mm - body bolts
13mm - engine accesspry brackets
15mm - oil pan drain?
18mm suspention parts

I don't recall any other sizes.... Other than 7mm for dash.

Additionally I have:

Tire plug kit
Multi-tool
Crecant wrench
Vice grips
wrachet
multi screwdriver
3 extensions
flashlight

Then goes in a gymbag with medical kit, duct tape (or gorilla is best), transmission fluid, jumper cables, and a tire pump.

Any additional ideas for trail fix kit?

Attachments

• 20210724_084002.jpg
    20210724_084002.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 8

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Jack to lift vehicle and I am not talking about the factory jack. Blocks of wood for spacing and blocking wheels. Full set of ratchet straps. I had a battery powered air compressor for tires and help running air tools. Coolant, water, oil and I even had extra belts. I always saved old belts that I took off that I could still use.

I had other things too but when I was off roading I used a purpose built 73 Blazer, affectionately known as BRUTUS, because it had 1 ton axles, front and rear, and was set up with special steering assist and suspension mods that allowed my to climb almost everywhere. I learned what I should and did take during my trail/rocks runs.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome. I forgot to mention I also have:

- Extra belts
- 5 to 10 gallons of water (for drinking or radiator if necessary). I live in desert and you will die if you don't have water in some areas I go.
- I also have a tow strap HERE
- USB solar charger (wish I'd built solar into roof of truck)
- emergency satellite beacon & a CB radio.
- full kitchen and stove w/ food for a few days for 2 people.
- Hand saw (for cutting down trees, branches, etc)
- Collapsible shovel
- fire extinguisher (I need two really and want to mount them on brackets under front seats).
- I have a gallon of automatic transmission fluid, can be used for oil if necessary. (I have no gear oil though).

Just thought, maybe I should add JB weld to the kit too. Or similar epoxy.

Everything is compact fits behind my 3rd row seat in Tahoe.

Ratchet Straps: I will add ratchet straps into the kit. I have 4 of them, what do you use them for?

Jack: I have the factory jack. Is there a good compact one? I'm not huge fan of high lift.

Blocks of wood: I will just cut up a 2x6 into 8 inch lengths. Previously we used rocks here. You can pick any size you want haha although they can slide out from under a jack *no good*

Air compressor: did you have a reservoir on your air compressor? If so how big and what model did you use? In a perfect world I'd like to build my pump in. I currently carry a little hand held Viair works AWESOME but would not have power for air tools.

Did you have a full float axle? How often did you break axles? Something I am actually quite worried about. I have spare fronts (I don't carry those) but if a back breaks I'm stuck. I have the factory 10 bolt semi float.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did forget to add the tow strap that I had. I used the ratchet straps for whenever needed, like if you damage sheet metal and it is peeled away from body, you ratchet them in place so they don't catch as you continue and to hold down anything you want. I once had bolts loosen and 2 break on my steering arm attachment to the steering tie rod and I ratcheted it tight and got it back to camp to fix. I also had 2-3 spools of mechanic's wire for holding things under the vehicle, like exhaust. Get a good light aluminum floor jack and my air compressor was attached to a 5 gallon air tank, separate, with quick connect hoses and then I ran the air tools if needed off the tank but if airing up tire it was ok without the tank. I used one that came in a metal box with a latched lid and the compressor stayed in the box. Years ago and don't remember the name of it. Check around and find what works for you.

I had a Dana 60 1 ton axle on the front and a GM 14 bolt full float axle on the rear. Got rid of the Dana 44 on the front and the weak GM axle on the rear. I had Detroit lockers in both of them with 4.88 gears. I had special made alloy axles that were tough as hell and used the best Spicer joints at the front I could find. I had a hydraulic ram assist steering. Special off road driveshafts. Full roll cage. Brake line lock, front and rear, in case I needed to get creative about getting around something very tight. I had a 9k pound Warn winch that I had set up to move from front to rear depending on the need. I used the very strong and safe fiber winch line and had ****** blocks and clevis shackles and chains with me too.

Been to Moab 2 times and rolled once down Potato Salad Hill. That was fun! Been thru what they call Rock Gardens there and in the Oregon Tillamook Forest. I have been high enough on rock tops that I could set my brake line locks and climb out and walk under my rig to the other side.

Because Brutus was so stout and had a beat up body, if someone was stuck and we could not reach easily with winch, I was sent in to latch on to them and pull them out.

Good times with great people. Lots of Jeep nuts but I liked my "Large and in Charge" Brutus.

I also had enough room that I carried a large assortment of tools for the trail and whatever I did not have, the others did. Let's put it this way, I drove away from Potato Salad Hill.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do overlanding. Not too much rock crawling however, your experience is solid gold. I maybe 30 or 40 miles from civilization camping, shooting, just having fun. There's no resources and difficult recovery in these areas. Looking at some areas which maybe more like 100 miles. I'm also on the border of Arizona and Mexico. I'd imagine the truck would be stripped by people crossing if I had to leave it for a few days to complete repairs / get parts.

I need to add Mechanic's wire to the list. Somebody else mentioned that too. I'd love to do a 14 bolt swap on my Tahoe. I think would require fabricating brackets for the suspension. I just REALLY like the redundancy / mode of failure on a full float better than semi float. Then again, I've never met anybody who broke the hub off a semi float axle.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want the socket for the front axle nut in case you break a CV and need to remove it.
Good thought! I have one just sitting in my specialty tools box. Dang thing is on TIGHT though. My hope is I could limp somewhere if that breaks without too much collateral damage. I ripped a shock off a while back. I probably should have removed it but drove probably 50 more miles haha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I do overlanding. Not too much rock crawling however, your experience is solid gold. I maybe 30 or 40 miles from civilization camping, shooting, just having fun. There's no resources and difficult recovery in these areas. Looking at some areas which maybe more like 100 miles. I'm also on the border of Arizona and Mexico. I'd imagine the truck would be stripped by people crossing if I had to leave it for a few days to complete repairs / get parts.

I need to add Mechanic's wire to the list. Somebody else mentioned that too. I'd love to do a 14 bolt swap on my Tahoe. I think would require fabricating brackets for the suspension. I just REALLY like the redundancy / mode of failure on a full float better than semi float. Then again, I've never met anybody who broke the hub off a semi float axle.
I think @Dantheman1540 did a semi float 9.5 ring gear 6 bolt pattern swap on his, if I recall correctly and some other members as well. If you are overlanding and not so much rock crawling, I think that would be the swap to do. I saw lots of guys rock crawling with those under the back of bigger 4 door Jeeps, with no problems and hardly any breakage.

Mine was a full size older heavier Blazer with all the add-ons and 38" tires and 6" lift with frame gussets and you name it, I had it bolted or welded on. Nothing is worse than breaking in a rock garden. You have to remember, rock crawls and rock gardens are not trails, they are obstacles. I have seen guys with Jeeps and I did it once with my Blazer, come to a fallen tree, about 2.5' to 3', in a trail and with the lift, flex, tire size and approach the tree at the right angle so that tires hit the tree and crawled at the right pace and touch points and climb over the tree. We could have cut it up and off the trail but what fun would that have been and we all had bragging rights at the fire that night. Some nights, that tree was 5' across and getting bigger as the beer disappeared! :chewie:

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet that sounds like real adventure! You're making a problem for me. You make me want to buy more stuff! I love idea of 9.5 ring gear. I need to rebuild my rear end as I'm running a cheepo junkyard special open diff after I blew up original (long story). I had also thought in the least when I build new one I could reinforce case with some gussets.

@afpj interesting, self sticking stretch tape? Is it better than gorilla tape? I'm not familiar.

Oh gosh, I just thought:

- I should also have a test light & possibly small DMM
- I carry a blue tooth OBDII code reader.