TPS Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully the last update; After all of the issues with replacing the Throttle Body, I was finally able to force the Chinese Diagnostic Tool to setup for a different GM model to wipe codes and initiate a throttle position relearn before sending it back.

The throttle response and engine power is much better. It also appears to be getting better gas mileage but only time will tell.

I've only been driving it for 2 days with no Limp Mode, so I'm praying I'm done with this issue.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the last update; After all of the issues with replacing the Throttle Body, I was finally able to force the Chinese Diagnostic Tool to setup for a different GM model to wipe codes and initiate a throttle position relearn before sending it back.

The throttle response and engine power is much better. It also appears to be getting better gas mileage but only time will tell.

I've only been driving it for 2 days with no Limp Mode, so I'm praying I'm done with this issue.
Thanks for following up! Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That didn't last long. Threw codes and went into limp mode twice this morning.

Had to clear them quickly as it was not safe so I'm only assuming it's the same codes.

I don't know what to do next. Replace wire loom plugs?

Should I just give up and take it to a repair shop? I don't want to take it to a dealer if I don't have to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found a Service Bulletin that is related to this issue. No.: PIP3783D

Majority of the Conditions, Recommendations, and Instructions relate to potential shorts to ground or high voltage drops between the APP (TPS) and ECM. It points to pin outs C109/X109 and C205/X205 for review.

I'm hoping to review these particular locations this weekend but doubt I have the capabilities to diagnose anything.

It states to reference the related SI Repair Procedure. How do I find this?

I'm also trying to find the wiring diagram / schematic so that I can hopefully replace the wire loom. I'm unable to find a model number tag on it. Anyone have this information available?

For this, I wouldn't mind dropping it off at a dealership but not sure if I can get them to focus on just the wire loom and connectors?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a Service Bulletin that is related to this issue. No.: PIP3783D

Majority of the Conditions, Recommendations, and Instructions relate to potential shorts to ground or high voltage drops between the APP (TPS) and ECM. It points to pin outs C109/X109 and C205/X205 for review.

I'm hoping to review these particular locations this weekend but doubt I have the capabilities to diagnose anything.

It states to reference the related SI Repair Procedure. How do I find this?

I'm also trying to find the wiring diagram / schematic so that I can hopefully replace the wire loom. I'm unable to find a model number tag on it. Anyone have this information available?

For this, I wouldn't mind dropping it off at a dealership but not sure if I can get them to focus on just the wire loom and connectors?

I admire your persistence and sharing with us. I have schematics for pickups of this gen that may help some.

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I admire your persistence and sharing with us. I have schematics for pickups of this gen that may help some.

Thanks, I'll need to review.

Following the Bulletin, I removed the fuse box to inspect the connections. The majority started to show corrosion or were dirty so I sprayed it with a contact cleaner. I also went ahead and replaced the associated Fuse #5 for the ECM / Throttle, just in case.

Put back together and started right up which I was happy about because I was afraid of getting all of the contacts back in line.

I've also reached out to a friend's dealer service for an estimate per the Service Bulletin and waiting on a response. Will continue to drive and see if the cleaning and fuse resolved anything.

I bought the connector / pigtail for the gas pedal but I'm going to hold off until after I try this and get the estimate.

IMG_20230312_152907093.jpg

IMG_20230312_152919048.jpg

OP
OP
Neuner

Neuner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Following the Bulletin, I removed the fuse box to inspect the connections. The majority started to show corrosion or were dirty so I sprayed it with a contact cleaner. I also went ahead and replaced the associated Fuse #5 for the ECM / Throttle, just in case.
There's connections within the fuse box and underneath it. The bulletin only mentions those under the fuse box. i inspected those and cleaned them even though they looked really good. I think the connections within the fuse box appear to have been the culprit. They were dirty and corroded.

It's been a week, which is the longest I've gone without an incident. I ran it through some tough paces, and varying weather, so I'm slowly becoming confident.

I just got done returning the gas pedal connector as I'm thinking it's not needed. Never got the estimate from the dealer.

Thankfully the expensive throttle body replacement was not a waste as there is an improvement in gas mileage and overall performance.

****UPDATE
It's been 3 weeks and the longest I've gone without incident. If you don't hear back from me, the cause of my issues were the connections within the Fuse Box. Separating the fuse + relay layer from the connection below and thoroughly cleaning them with a spray electrical contact cleaner was the solution.

Last edited: